Subject: [pim] Query about scoped Bootstrap Message

From: sumanta seal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 05:06:15 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

I have some confusion about one statement in the draft "draft-ietf-pim-sm-bsr-09". In section  3.3 (page 21), the draft says the following --
"RP mappings may be included in the first group range of a BSM, just as for any other group range. After this group range, other group ranges for which there are RP mappings appear in any order ".

Suppose a situation where the BSR is configured with one scope, say G and it becomes the elected BSR for that scope. At the same time it is receiving one C-RP-Adv message for the same scope (i.e . another router wants to be the candidate RP for the same multicast group range G) with address  X. Now when the BSR will send BSM, G will always present in the first group-rp-set of the BSM (with Z bit 1). But will it include the RP address X in the first group-rp-set or it will add another group-rp-set with group address G ( Z bit 0) where it will include the RP address X. 

Please let me know if more information is required.

Thanks and regards,
Sumanta

---------------------------------
 Here’s a new way to find what you're looking for - Yahoo! Answers 

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:29:42 +0100

sumanta seal wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I have some confusion about one statement in the draft 
> "draft-ietf-pim-sm-bsr-09". In section 3.3 (page 21), the draft says the 
> following --
> "RP mappings may be included in the first group range of a BSM, just as 
> for any other group range. After this group range, other group ranges 
> for which there are RP mappings appear in any order ".
> 
> Suppose a situation where the BSR is configured with one scope, say G 
> and it becomes the elected BSR for that scope. At the same time it is 
> receiving one C-RP-Adv message for the same scope (i.e . another router 
> wants to be the candidate RP for the same multicast group range G) with 
> address X. Now when the BSR will send BSM, G will always present in the 
> first group-rp-set of the BSM (with Z bit 1). But will it include the RP 
> address X in the first group-rp-set or it will add another group-rp-set 
> with group address G ( Z bit 0) where it will include the RP address X.

You must only have each group range once with all the RPs for the range.
So if you have multiple RPs in the RP-set for G, you should include them
all there. If G is the scope, then you put G first in the BSM with Z bit
set as you wrote.

Stig

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/in/yanswers/*http://in.answers.yahoo.com/>
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>