Subject: [pim] Please review our new draft and give us feedback. Thanks.

From: "janardhan kulkarni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 10:31:27 +0530

Hi,

In our new draft we are proposing some extensions to PIM so that,
troubleshooting becomes easy. Below is link and extract from our work.
Kindly review this and give us feedback about the utility of this.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-archana-pimwg-pim-ping-00.txt

Brief Introduction:-
********************
Multicast technology has been around for quite some time now. But
widespread deployment of multicasting has just begun. All these days,
multicasting technology was revolving around developing efficient,
scalable routing protocols. Now that, multicast routing protocols are
matured, PIMSSM and PIMSM have established themselves as principal
multicast routing protocols, since many applications are using
multicasting as their base technology, it is the time to address
other aspects like debugging, trouble shooting and error reporting.
Most of the work that has been done so far in these areas, either
depend on multicast tree being set up or support from IP, and MIBS.
But it is our opinion that, multicast routing protocols should in
themselves embed necessary mechanisms to address these issues, even if
it means protocol implementations needs to be tweaked. Also, we
should note that, most of multicast routing protocols which use PULL
model like PIMSM, PIMSSM will create a multicast tree only if there
are some receivers join the tree. So, to get information about the
reachability or to trace the path of multicast data, even before
creating the tree it is necessary to extend the protocols. In this
draft we want to present some extensions to PIM, which help in trouble
shooting PIM related issues.
-- 
Bye,
Janardhan.
"I have never been hurt by what I have not said."
  -Calvin Coolidge

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: su haiyang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:25:27 +0800

Dear Janardhan,
  I can't see any advantages of your drafts over mtrace proposed to a draft long time ago. Given that mtrace has been long applied at mbone or carrier's network for fault-locating, Can you make a summary about your initiative ideas included in the following draft.

Su Haiyang

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: janardhan kulkarni [mailto:[email-masked]] 
发送时间: 2007年7月9日 13:01
收件人: [email-masked]; Stig Venaas; Benoît HILT; Hitoshi Asaeda
抄送: Archana Patel
主题: [pim] Please review our new draft and give us feedback. Thanks.

Hi,

Brief Introduction:-
********************