Subject: [pim] WG Action: RECHARTER: Protocol Independent Multicast (pim)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:15:01 -0400

The charter of the Protocol Independent Multicast (pim) working group 
in the Routing Area of the IETF has been updated.  For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the working group
Chairs.

+++

Protocol Independent Multicast (pim)
=====================================

Current Status: Active Working Group 

Chair(s):
Mike McBride <[email-masked]> 
Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]> 

Routing Area Director(s):
Ross Callon <[email-masked]> 
David Ward <[email-masked]> 

Routing Area Advisor:
David Ward <[email-masked]> 

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim/
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pim/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) Working Group has completed the
standardization of PIM with RFC 4601. The WG has determined there is
additional work to be accomplished and is chartered to standardize
extensions to RFC 4601 - Protocol Independent Multicast Version 2 -
Sparse Mode. These PIM extensions will involve reliability, resiliency,
scalability, management, and security.

The PIM WG will consider implications of VPN service on PIM when it's a
component of that service or when PIM interfaces with that service at a
VPN edge. If L2VPN or L3VPN WGs determine that support for multicast in
L2VPNs and/or L3VPNs requires extensions to PIM, then such extensions
could be developed within the PIM WG.

Additional work on the PIM-BIDIR and BSR drafts may also be necessary by
the WG as these drafts progress through Standards Track.

The working group will continue to specify the MIB modules required for
PIM and its enhancements.

The PIM WG will further enhance RFC4601 as an even more scalable,
efficient and robust multicast routing protocol, which is capable of
supporting thousands of groups, different types of multicast
applications, and all major underlying layer-2 subnetwork technologies.
We will accomplish these enhancements by submitting drafts, to the IESG,
involving reliable pim, pim join attributes and pim authentication.

The working group will initiate a new re-chartering effort if it is
determined that a Version 3 of PIM is required.

Goals and Milestones:

Jul 2007 Ratify new WG charter and milestones
Dec 2007 Submit the BSR spec as a Proposed Standard to the IESG
Dec 2007 Submit the BSR MIB as a Proposed Standard to the IESG
Mar 2008 Submit a more reliable pim solution (refresh reduction) to
the IESG
Mar 2008 Submit a generic TLV PIM Join Attribute PS draft to the IESG
Mar 2008 Submit RPF Vector (use of PIM Join Attribute) as PS to the
IESG
Mar 2008 Submit a way to authenticate PIM link local messages as PS
to the IESG
Mar 2008 Submit an Informational PIM last hop threats document to the
IESG

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim