Subject: [pim] Last Call: <draft-ietf-pim-port-08.txt> (A Reliable Transport Mechanism for PIM) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:40:28 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Protocol Independent Multicast
WG (pim) to consider the following document:
- 'A Reliable Transport Mechanism for PIM'
  <draft-ietf-pim-port-08.txt> as an Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-10-10. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document defines a reliable transport mechanism for the PIM
   protocol for transmission of Join/Prune messages.  This eliminates
   the need for periodic Join/Prune message transmission and processing.
   The reliable transport mechanism can use either TCP or SCTP as the
   transport protocol.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-port/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-port/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---

From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:46:07 +0200

The choice of service name for this transport seems unfortunate; having a port
number registry with a service in it called 'port' may be witty but seems like a
source of future confusion.

I notice that IANA currently have a service name of 'pim-port' which seems a
better idea and one that I think that this I-D should adopt.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "The IESG" <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF-Announce" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 9:40 PM
Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-pim-port-08.txt> (A Reliable TransportMechanism
for PIM) to Experimental RFC

> _______________________________________________
> IETF-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:25:03 -0700

Hi, all,

The IANA considerations in this doc are in error and need updating as 
follows. I agree that "PORT" is a poor acronym choice, FWIW.

Joe

11.  IANA Considerations

    This specification makes use of a TCP port number and a SCTP port
    number for the use of PIM-Over-Reliable-Transport that has been
    allocated by IANA.  It also makes use of IANA PIM Hello Options
    allocations that should be made permanent.

The current IANA allocation is called "pim-port", not 
"PIM-Over-Reliable-Transport". The long name (description) is "PIM over 
Reliable-Transport", but that's not the authoritative name of the 
service - also, IANA does "assignments" (as per RFC 6335); this section 
should read as follows.

    This specification makes use of a TCP port number and a SCTP port
    number for the use of pim-port service that has been
    assigned by IANA.  It also makes use of IANA PIM Hello Options
    assignments that should be made permanent.

11.1.  PORT Port Number

    IANA has assigned a port number that is used as a destination port
    for PORT TCP and SCTP transports.  The assigned number is 8471.
    References to this document should be added to the Service Name and
    Transport Protocol Port Number Registry.

This should read:

    IANA has already assigned a port number that is used as
    a destination port
    for pim-port TCP and SCTP transports.  The assigned number is 8471.
    References to this document should be added to the Service Name and
    Transport Protocol Port Number Registry for pim-port.
----

On 9/27/2011 1:46 AM, t.petch wrote:
> From: "The IESG"<[email-masked]>
> To: "IETF-Announce"<[email-masked]>
> Cc:<[email-masked]>
> Subject: Last Call:<draft-ietf-pim-port-08.txt>  (A Reliable TransportMechanism
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf