Subject: [pim] ICMP based method for IP Multicast data plane failure detection

From: "Tissa Senevirathne (tsenevir)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 20:01:36 -0800

Dear All

ssmping and asmping are great tool to diagnose multicast data plane
issues. In large data centers and hosting services, servers are not
managed by network administrators. Hence may not be able to run ssmping
servers, which in turn limit the ability to trouble shoot a multicast
problem. In the draft-tissa-pim-mcastoam, we propose a framework that
allows to utilize ICMP message to not only troubleshoot multicast data
plane issues but also discover roles (DR, RP ) played by multicast
routers. Please could you review and provide your comments.

Filename:   draft-tissa-pim-mcastoam

Revision:   00

Title:            IP multicast data plane failure detection

Creation date:    2012-03-04

WG ID:            Individual Submission

Number of pages: 17

Abstract:

    ICMP Based multicast messaging infrastructure is presented in this

   document. Messages presented in this document is intended to be

   utilized for troubleshooting multicast data plane connectivity

   issues as well as identify multicast routers performing different

   roles, such as Rendezvous Point (RP), Designated Router etc.