Subject: [pim] I-D Action: draft-ietf-pim-drlb-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 10:48:16 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Protocol Independent Multicast Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Protocol Independent Multicast DR Load Balancing
	Author(s)       : Yiqun Cai
                          Sri Vallepalli
                          Heidi Ou
                          Andy Green
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pim-drlb-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2012-03-05

   On a multi-access network such as an Ethernet, one of the PIM routers
   is elected as a Designated Routers (DR).  The PIM DR has two roles in
   the PIM protocol.  On the first hop network, the PIM DR is
   responsible for registering an active source to the RP if the group
   is operated in PIM SM.  On the last hop network, the PIM DR is
   responsible for tracking local multicast listeners and forwarding
   traffic to these listeners if the group is operated in PIM SM/SSM/DM.
   In this document, we propose a modification to the PIM protocol that
   allows multiple of these last hop routers to be selected so that the
   forwarding load can be distributed to and handled among these
   routers.  A router responsible for forwarding for a particular group
   is called a Group Designated Router (GDR).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pim-drlb-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pim-drlb-00.txt