Subject: [pim] Last Call: <draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-03.txt> (Protocol Independent Multicast ECMP Redirect) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 12:43:38 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Protocol Independent Multicast
WG (pim) to consider the following document:
- 'Protocol Independent Multicast ECMP Redirect'
  <draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-06-12. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   A Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) [RFC4601] router uses the
   Reverse Path Forwarding (RPF) procedure to select an upstream
   interface and router to build forwarding state.  When there are equal
   cost multiple paths (ECMP), existing implementations often use hash
   algorithms to select a path.  Such algorithms do not allow the spread
   of traffic among the ECMPs according to administrative metrics.  This
   usually leads to inefficient or ineffective use of network resources.
   This document introduces the ECMP Redirect, a mechanism to improve
   the RPF procedure over ECMPs.  It allows ECMP path selection to be
   based on administratively selected metrics, such as data transmission
   delays, path preferences and routing metrics.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-ecmp/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-ecmp/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1780/