Subject: [pim] Where to go with draft-taylor-pim-v4v6-translation?

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 09:37:43 -0400

I am trying to figure out where to take 
draft-taylor-pim-v4v6-translation. We had an interesting discussion in 
Paris on routing where both IPv4 and IPv6 routes are available, and I 
could follow up on that, but it doesn't seem likely that we could get to 
the point of saying something useful very quickly.

I suppose the first question to ask is whether dual-stack PIM routers, 
capable of translating in both directions, are already the general state 
of the art, so that advice on implementing them is pointless.

There is definitely something useful to be said about translation of 
multicast data packets. Teemu Kiviniemi was kind enough to direct me to 
his Master's thesis, which contains a lot of useful discussion on this 
topic. Someone noted that translation of multicast data packets might 
deserve a separate draft, since it is common to IGMP/MLD interworking 
and PIM translation. RFC 6145 does not deal explicitly with multicast 
data packets, and there are, as Teemu's thesis points out, some 
differences between multicast and unicast.

Comments?

Tom Taylor