Subject: [pim] IPR Disclosure: Cisco's Statement of IPR Related to draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-03

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 13:54:30 -0700

Dear Liming Wei, Heidi Ou, Vishal Arya, Sunil Jethwani, Yiqun Cai:

 An IPR disclosure that pertains to your Internet-Draft entitled "Protocol
Independent Multicast ECMP Redirect" (draft-ietf-pim-ecmp) was submitted to the
IETF Secretariat on 2012-05-14 and has been posted on the "IETF Page of
Intellectual Property Rights Disclosures"
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1780/). The title of the IPR disclosure is
"Cisco's Statement of IPR Related to draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-03."");

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Mike McBride <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 12:49:17 -0700

During the document write-up it was found that there is IPR on
draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-03 which has now been formally disclosed. Please
speak up if this alters the working group consensus to have the draft
published as a Standards Track document. I will wait a week for
responses before sending the write-up to Adrian.

thanks,
mike

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 18:34:46 -0400

I can't actually find this patent on the uspto.gov web site, which I
assume is because it was
sent in yesterday. Could we wait until we actually can get a look at
it before we decide this (or,
can someone send me a URL for the patent)?

Regards
Marshall

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Mike McBride <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> pim mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: Heidi Ou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 22:33:16 -0700

Marshall,

The patent application was filed early last year with US patent office. The
approval process may take a while.

Thanks
- Heidi

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 22:49:50 +0100

Yes,

I think the number is an application number.

It would still be useful if someone could point to a copy, but I understand this
may be hard.

Adrian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Heidi
> Ou
> Sent: 16 May 2012 06:33
> To: Marshall Eubanks; Mike McBride
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pim] IPR Disclosure: Cisco's Statement of IPR Related to
draft-ietf-
> pim-ecmp-03
> >>> Independent Multicast ECMP Redirect" (draft-ietf-pim-ecmp) was submitted
> to
> >>> the

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 22:31:31 -0400

> I think the number is an application number.

You can retrieve applications directly from the USPTO.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html

It says, "Data current through May 10, 2012."

The IPR statement says

https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1780/

Cisco is the owner of US Patent Application Serial No. 12/932,604
relating to the subject matter of
"Protocol Independent Multicast ECMP Redirect"

On the number, I get

Results of Search in db for:
"12/932,604": 0 applications.

No application publications have matched your query

(Note : Valid patent applications have numbers like
 20121234567, so the above # doesn't look right to me.)

On the name, the same lack of results.

Results of Search in db for:
"Protocol Independent Multicast ECMP Redirect": 0 applications.

A _very_ cursory search finds a patent application in the database
from as recently as April 26, 2012.

Obviously, if the above is a bad application number, it should be
corrected. In any case, I would like to see it in the USPTO DB before
I come to any conclusion about this IPR statement.

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Heidi Ou <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 09:57:07 -0700

Marshall,

It takes about 18 months from the date of filing for an application to be
published. Before an application is published, it is not accessible to the
general public (only the attorneys listed on the customer number associated
with the application have access).

Thanks
- Heidi

---

From: Mike McBride <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 15:01:45 -0700

The disclosure that IPR exists should suffice and the official RFC
editor IPR declaration will be included in the document before it is
published. If anyone would like details on the IPR please contact
Heidi directly.

thanks,
mike

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 23:42:44 -0400

Just to be clear, I have not called for the holding up of the
document, but I would like to understand
what the claim actually is.

Please email the application to me, if you would.

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Heidi Ou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 00:42:57 -0700

Marshall,

I will send you a copy to you.

Thanks
- Heidi

On 5/18/12 8:42 PM, "Marshall Eubanks" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>>>> It would still be useful if someone could point to a copy, but I
>>>>> understand
>>>>> this
>>>>> may be hard.
>>>>> 
>>>>> Adrian
>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> (https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1780/). The title of the IPR
>>>>>>>>> disclosure
>>>>> is