Subject: [pim] Adoption of draft-liu-multimob-igmp-mld-wireless-mobile-02 as a pim wg work item

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 20:38:32 -0800

At the pim wg meeting in Atlanta there were 5 people supporting
working on this in the pim wg, none against. We would like to do
an adoption call to see if we are ready to adopt this as a pim wg
work item.

Note that this has also been presented in multimob and there has
been some discussion about which wg is the most suitable. Mike and
I believe the pim wg is a good place to do this as the pim wg is
currently responsible for IGMP/MLD protocol work and has expertise
in this area. Multimob has interest in this though, so we certainly
want members of multimob to participate.

If we through this adoption call decide that we want to adopt this in
pim, we'll verify with the ADs responsible for pim and multimob that
this is reasonable.

I'm also sending a note about this to multimob, so that they can get
a chance to voice their opinion.

If you are in favor or against adopting this draft in the pim wg,
please send an email to the pim wg list with your opinion. Please
do so by Thursday January 17th.

Stig

---

From: John William Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 10:58:11 -0500

I support the adoption of this draft in the PIM WG, as a working group
item.  I agree that PIM is the right place to do this work, because PIM
WG has the mandate for work on IGMP/MLD, and because the work applies
more generally than just to mobile environments.

  Bill

On 1/3/2013 11:38 PM, Stig Venaas wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> pim mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

-- 
Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email:[email-masked]
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8

---

From: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 17:43:43 +0100

Hi Stig, Bill,

I would also see this work rather in the PIM WG, as this asks for 
detailed IGMP/MLD knowledge ...

Cheers,

Thomas

-- 

Prof. Dr. Thomas C. Schmidt
° Hamburg University of Applied Sciences                   Berliner Tor 7 °
° Dept. Informatik, Internet Technologies Group    20099 Hamburg, Germany °
° http://www.haw-hamburg.de/inet                   Fon: +49-40-42875-8452 °
° http://www.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~schmidt    Fax: +49-40-42875-8409 °

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 11:48:10 -0600

Hi all,

I remember this draft very well.
I had initiated writing version 00 and had solicited Mike to co-author it.

Never realized that it would go to pim :-).
BTW, I think there are problems with the affiliations of authors.

Good luck.

Behcet

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Thomas C. Schmidt <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Stig, Bill,
>
> I would also see this work rather in the PIM WG, as this asks for detailed
> IGMP/MLD knowledge ...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas
>
>
>>> ______________________________**_________________
>>> pim mailing list
>>> [email-masked]
>>> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/**listinfo/pim<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim>
>>>
>>
>>
> --
>
> ° http://www.haw-hamburg.de/inet                   Fon: +49-40-42875-8452°
> ° http://www.informatik.haw-**hamburg.de/~schmidt<http://www.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~schmidt>   Fax:
> +49-40-42875-8409 °
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> multimob mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/**listinfo/multimob<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/multimob>
>

---

From: Hitoshi Asaeda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 17:50:27 +0900 (JST)

Hi,

> an adoption call to see if we are ready to adopt this as a pim wg

I'd like to just clarify one thing.

It looks many contents describing in this draft are already included
in rfc6636 (informational), which describes tuning IGMP/MLD timers and
values used especially in mobile and wireless networks.
What does WG expect to this document?

I may say some cross layer approach, which is not included in both of
6636 and this draft, is interesting? Or beyond the scope?

Regards,
--
Hitoshi Asaeda

---

From: Mike McBride <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 13:07:02 -0800

Hitoshi,

If this work was to be adopted, we would add text from the referenced
6636 appendix. You will be added as author and we would invite others
(especially multimob folks) who might want to help author. I would
think adding a cross layer approach would be interesting and
potentially in scope.

My opinion is we work on these types of igmp/mld optimization drafts,
for now, rather then going down the igmpv4 spec path. But, as Dino
suggested at our last meeting, a new spec is certainly an option .

thanks,
mike

---

From: Hitoshi Asaeda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 17:26:45 +0900 (JST)

Mike,

> think adding a cross layer approach would be interesting and

It'd be necessary to provide unique information, guideline, or
solution in this draft, to keep going.

> suggested at our last meeting, a new spec is certainly an option .

Designing the new version will be sooner or later necessary, but I
think this draft won't target on it.

Regards,
--
Hitoshi Asaeda

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 11:50:51 -0800

> detailed IGMP/MLD knowledge ...

Thanks. Thomas, and others, do you also support adoption of the current
version as a pim WG document?

Stig

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 19:20:17 -0800

> an adoption call to see if we are ready to adopt this as a pim wg

So far with the support we had in the meeting, it seems we may have
consensus for doing work in this area. We didn't ask about adoption
in the meeting though.

So far we've only had one person supporting adoption of this draft.
And none against. The adoption call ends Thursday January 17th.

If we don't adopt this draft at this point, we will provided there
is interest in this area (and it looks that way), discuss this more
in Orlando. And if there is interest, then other submissions would
of course also be welcome.

Stig