Subject: [pim] Draft-Sami-PIM-NG

From: saeed sami <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 04:40:47 +0330

Dear Sir/Madam,

Hello.
My name is Saeed Sami and am from IRAN.

This email is in regards to an individual ID submission i recently made, 
under the name
" draft-sami-pim-ng" with revision number "01". it will be updated with 
a new version, as
one or 2 sections must be added to the current document and also some 
editing must be done.
the intended status of the ID is "proposed standard" and is an 
individual submission.

I was advised and instructed to contact the PIM working group to 
introduce my ID, so my submitted ID
will be reviewed by the PIM working group experts.

Now if you let me, i am going to briefly explain about the ID and talk 
about the motivation behind
attempting to work on it and complete it as a Proposed Standard:

PIM-NG stands for PIM-Next Generation . the name is chosen due to the 
fact that it can be the next generation of the current PIM routing 
protocol if approved . and if implemented correctly, through its 
processes  can provide  better and more enhanced multicast routing 
features .

The idea formed at the CCIE course i attended here in IRAN. what 
motivated me and triggered the first
thought was related to the process of, how a host finds and communicates 
with the source generating
a desired multicast traffic. the process through which the host must 
first join the RPT rooted at the RP seemed to be a little time consuming 
, and also the role of RP and BSR or mapping agent as described in CISCO 
documents weren't as clear as possible at least to me. so the first 
thing that came to my mind as the general idea was to enhance the 
processes in a way that a host can communicate as fast as possible with 
the source and also make the role of RP and BSR or mapping agent a 
little bit more bold.

one other thing that caused me to go even further with the design of 
PIM-NG specifications , was the fact that the current RPF check method 
used in PIM-SM implementations alongside  MSDP makes it hard to have a 
good control over the propagation of the information related to the 
existing multicast sources. so new packet formats , which need the touch 
of PIM working group experts, alongside the new RPF check method unique 
to PIM-NG are designed and defined in a way that provides the 
possibility of having  transitory Autonomous Systems or Multicast 
Domains in Multicast network designs.

the new Domain definition, unique to PIM-NG, provides more security 
features and a much more robust and flexible control over Multicast 
Domains and also provides the capability of implementing transitory 
multicast domains or dividing a multicast domain to sub-domains and ... .

The new definition of the ANYCAST RP used in PIM-NG provides more 
simplicity .

And the overall related processes are designed and defined in a way 
which if implemented correctly , makes PIM-NG capable of doing most of 
the work automatically and on auto pilot to be more precise.

Most of the processes are explained through many examples and scenarios 
illustrated and viewable in the PDF version to make the review process 
easier. also there are command lines used in this document which are 
only used to simplify the explanation process easier as this is my first 
time getting involved in something as big as this. and it is also 
mentioned in the document that any command line or ip address used in 
the document are only to be interpreted as examples and not the solid 
command lines or ip addresses that might be used.

No implementations have been made based on PIM-NG specifications, due to 
the fact that i had been advised from the beginning that, as the 
intended status of the ID is proposed standard , it must be first be 
reviewed by PIM working group experts.

The parts that really needs the touch of an expert, can be the parts 
related to the new packet format designs. and also as this is my first 
time working on an ID as a proposed standard, the parts related to the 
explanation of the processes through examples and scenarios using some 
command lines as an example( please be noted that it is written and 
mentioned in the document that any command line or IP address used in 
the document is only to simplify the explanation process and is used 
only as an example) may need corrections by PIM working group experts.

the design and writing of the current PIM-NG specifications has been 
done over the past eight months under the supervision of my instructor, 
who is one the HUAWEI top network experts in IP department here in IRAN. 
but please be noted again that this ID is submitted as an individual 
submission and is not related to any entity company or enterprise.

and finally this is done solely with the thought of repaying to the 
network society by making a positive change , and i hope that this ID " 
draft-sami-pim-ng-01" gets reviewed in the best possible way. and i hope 
that i will able to work with the experts in the PIM Area to make PIM-NG 
even better.
link to the ID : http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sami-pim-ng/

Thanks for giving me the chance of being part of the future.

Sincerely
Saeed Sami