Subject: [pim] reg support for pim-sm over layer 2 disjoint broadcast domains

From: phani Ayyappa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 06:21:41 -0700

Hi,
  I came across need for this kind of scenario, where pim-sm needs to be
run disjoint layer 2 broad cast domain. i.e,  same subnet is present acoss
islands and there is no layer 2 multicast traffic is reachable.  Every
island, decides , it's own, PIM DR and registers to upstream router.  Does
this approach has any issues.

Thanks
Phani

---

From: "iamredheart22 ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 20:40:38 +0530

Hi,

   Would you have src in domainA sending traffic for receiver in domainB?

Thanks

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 6:51 PM, phani Ayyappa <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> pim mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim
>
>

---

From: phani Ayyappa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 10:05:12 -0700

Hi,
 To add more context,  These islands are connected by  L2 GRE. These
islands are connected to data center core, where RP resides. Planning to
stop pim protocol communication across these islands .  There is a
possibility of  source in one island and reciver could be in another
island.

Thanks
Phani

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 8:10 AM, iamredheart22 .
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 6:51 PM, phani Ayyappa <[email-masked]>wrote:
>
>> Hi,

---

From: phani Ayyappa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 16:42:51 -0700

Hi,
To add more context,  These islands are extended by L2 tunnels over L3  .
These islands are connected to data center core, where RP resides. Planning
to stop pim protocol communication across these islands . There is a
possibility of  source in one island and reciver could be in another
island.

Thanks
Phani

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 10:05 AM, phani Ayyappa <[email-masked]>wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 8:10 AM, iamredheart22 . <[email-masked]
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

---

From: "iamredheart22 ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 21:00:15 +0530

what about the unicast protocols running in these islands? Do they have
connectivity across? If yes then rpf to RP source/RP might take the route
via tunnel.

Thanks

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 5:12 AM, phani Ayyappa <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 8:10 AM, iamredheart22 . <
>> [email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>>   I came across need for this kind of scenario, where pim-sm needs to
>>>> be run disjoint layer 2 broad cast domain. i.e,  same subnet is present
>>>> acoss islands and there is no layer 2 multicast traffic is reachable.
>>>>  Every island, decides , it's own, PIM DR and registers to upstream router.
>>>>  Does this approach has any issues.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks
>>>> Phani
>>>>