Subject: [pim] draft-sami-pim-ng-02 PIM-NG advantages (part 3)

From: saeed sami <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 01:55:01 +0330

Hello.

This email might be a little too long but it is worth reading and I hope
that it will be read by WG experts.  It is related to some of the
advantages of PIM-NG the new proposed PIM protocol. The draft can be find
at:

 http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sami-pim-ng-02

since It was not possible to send the email at once I will have to send it
to the mailing list  in separate parts , and this is part 3 of the series.

Some of the key advantages of PIM-NG that can make it a potential candidate
for adoption by the WG are explained bellow:

12-      The last but not the least advantage of PIM-NG is providing more
security and reducing network resource consumption in parts of multicast
domain/networks connected to Multi-Access networks. This feature is
beneficial specifically to Service Providers due to the fact that through
implementing this feature, downstream last hop (client) within a connected
Multi-Access network won't need to receive any vital information form
Service Providers regarding the existing key components of service
provider's multicast domain. Such behavior is indeed beneficial in
scenarios in which a customer wishes to use the service provider's services
for its multi-access network's multicast connectivity without the need to
implement C-MAPPER'(s), C-RP'(s) and other key components. Since in PIM-SM
RP or BSR introduction messages must propagate to downstream last hop
routers within multi-access networks there will be an unwanted network
resource consumption and also it can cause security issues to some extents.

The above advantages alongside other features and definitions introduced by
PIM-NG have the ability to make PIM-NG a potential candidate for adoption
by the WG and I hope that the ID will be able to draw the attention of WG
experts to itself. So I hope that this ID is given the chance by the WG.

There is one issue with regards to the RPF check method:

1-      A concept of Domain-set is introduced which is in fact a string of
domain numbers or better to call Domain-Path string. The domain-set is used
for the RPF-Check and can get long. If the length of the Domain-Set isn’t
an issue then there wont be a problem. But if the length can be an issue
then a mechanism should be implemented so that the C-MAPPERs which are in
charge of inter-Domain connectivity with regards to advertisement of Active
multicast sources will automatically reduce the length of the string.

      -      My proposed solution is to use a mechanism so that each 10
domain numbers in the domain-set of a received advertisement is replaced by
a unique number at the time of advertising to neighbor domains. For
instance considering that C-MAPPER-B receives an advertisement form
C-MAPPER-A with domain-set (12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3 ,1) and needs to
advertise it to C-MAPPER-C. so with the proposed solution C-MAPPER-B will
send an advertisement with Domain-Set(X,1,2) which X represents those 10
domain numbers and 1 the domain in which C-MAPPER-A resides and 2 the
domain in which C-MAPPER-B resides.

The above issue and the proposed solution need a review from WG group
experts. in case the length of Domain-Set is not a real issue it is better
be left the way defined as it may be used for a new concept  later if the
ID is adopted .

The above being said , I can say that PIM-NG works much more optimized than
PIM-SM in many ways starting From reducing the time through which a last
hope router(client) can join the SPT for (S,G) to providing the ability to
implement transitory multicast domains and  providing a higher level of
security in multicast domains.
At the end I hope the ID "draft-sami-pim-ng" will be seen worthy of being
adopted by the working group

END.
-- 
sincerely yours
MR.SAEED SAMI