Subject: [pim] draft-sami-pim-ng-02 PIM-NG advantages (part 1)

From: saeed sami <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 01:48:03 +0330

Hello.

This email might be a little too long but it is worth reading since it is
about some of the key advantages of the new proposed protocol, and I hope
that it will be read by WG experts.  It is related to some of the
advantages of PIM-NG the new proposed PIM protocol. The draft can be find
at:

 http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sami-pim-ng-02

since It was not possible to send the email at once I will have to send it
to the mailing list  in separate parts , and this is part 1 of the series.

Some of the key advantages of PIM-NG that can make it a potential candidate
for adoption by the WG are explained bellow:

1-      Different concepts of PIM-NG with regards to RP discovery and other
processes are designed in a way to provide an easy to implement (to some
extents), automatic or intelligent routing protocol to some extents. This
is achieved by introducing new processes and packet types which allow
PIM-NG components such as C-RP's, C-MAPPER's and … to converge and fin each
other automatically and in the lowest time interval.

2-      the definition and role of existing RP'(S) and BSR'(s) weren't
clear at least to my eyes which guided me towards a little bit different
definition with regards to how the exiting components of a PIM-NG multicast
network are introduced to the PIM-NG population.

3-      A PIM-NG MAPPER which can be considered as a BSR too, has a more
vital role in PIM-NG which makes it possible to follow a hierarchical
design pattern.

4-      PIM-NG uses a new source register process which makes the size of
register packets smaller due to the fact that there will be no need for
data packet to be sent alongside the register message.  This will reduce
the bandwidth and resource consumption since no data packet is sent in a
register message.

5-      The source discovery method used by PIM-SM seemed a little
un-optimized in parts mainly related to a last hop router joining the RPT
rooted at the RP first and then switch to SPT. This process is not
necessary and is network resource consuming. So a new process is defined in
PIM-NG which eliminates the need for the (*, G) RPT tree to form first. The
new source discovery method puts PIM-NG one cycle a head of PIM-SM in
finding and communicating with a source.
End of part 1.
-- 
sincerely yours
MR.SAEED SAMI