Subject: [pim] draft-sami-pim-ng-02 PIM-NG advantages (part 2)

From: saeed sami <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 01:52:30 +0330

Hello.

This email might be a little too long but it is worth reading and I hope
that it will be read by WG experts.  It is related to some of the
advantages of PIM-NG the new proposed PIM protocol. The draft can be find
at:

 http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sami-pim-ng-02

since It was not possible to send the email at once I will have to send it
to the mailing list  in separate parts , and this is part2 of the series.

Some of the key advantages of PIM-NG that can make it a potential candidate
for adoption by the WG are explained bellow:

6-      Since the role of an RP is similar to an information station which
only helps last hop routers (clients) find the source of a multicast
traffic (G), large number of last hops won't cause any problem in a PIM-NG
domain. This is achieved due to the fact that the RP doesn’t need to save
the state of every (*, G) join it receives before a last hop switches to
SPT and actually there is no RPT tree formations.

7-      Since as soon as a source is registered with the RP, clients (last
hop router) will only need to send a unicast-encapsulated request for
source message to the RP and as soon as the unicast address of the source
is received back from the RP they will join the SPT tree there will be no
delay at all in communicating with a source and receiving the multicast
traffic it represents.

8-      PIM-NG uses a new ANYCAST RP and Mesh-Group concept, which if
implemented correctly, allows for the existence of many RPs in a single
multicast domain while reducing the network resource consumption by the
multicast introduction messages sent by RPs and also reduces the amount of
Active source advertisements within a domain. In a single multicast domain
the number of existing RPs can be up to 255 RPs which if the PIM-NG
Sub-Domain concept is implemented correctly , the number of existing RPs in
a multicast domain can be increased to up to 254*255 conceptually , which
will provide high availability in its maximum level.

9-      Since the current multicast domain definition and RPF check method
in use by PIM-SM and MSDP doesn’t allow the existence of transitory
Autonomous System'(s) or multicast domains, PIM-NG introduces its unique
multicast domain concept alongside a new RPF check method unique to PIM-NG
specifications which allows the existence of transitory multicast domains.

10-      The new RPF check method introduced in PIM-NG gives a higher level
of control and security with regards to propagation and advertisement of
the information regarding the active sources. Dou to its nature which
allows the existence of transitory multicast domains and because the RPF
check method and how different multicast domains are connected in PIM-NG,
administrators will have a flexible and easy control over the Active
sources advertisements.

11-      Because of the new and unique multicast domain concept introduced,
PIM-NG provides a higher level of control over multicast networks through
the concept of Sub-Domain alongside a higher level of security which is
indeed a positive factor for any protocol through the implementation of
Stub-Domains. Both of the concepts are unique to PIM-NG.
End of part 2.
-- 
sincerely yours
MR.SAEED SAMI