Subject: [pim] STD 83, RFC 7761 on Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM): Protocol Specification (Revised)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 16:05:57 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        STD 83        
        RFC 7761

        Title:      Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse 
                    Mode (PIM-SM): Protocol Specification (Revised) 
        Author:     B. Fenner, M. Handley,
                    H. Holbrook, I. Kouvelas,
                    R. Parekh, Z. Zhang,
                    L. Zheng
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      137
        Characters: 295255
        Obsoletes:  RFC 4601
        See Also:   STD 83

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pim-rfc4601bis-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7761

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7761

This document specifies Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode
(PIM-SM).  PIM-SM is a multicast routing protocol that can use the
underlying unicast routing information base or a separate
multicast-capable routing information base.  It builds unidirectional
shared trees rooted at a Rendezvous Point (RP) per group, and it
optionally creates shortest-path trees per source.

This document obsoletes RFC 4601 by replacing it, addresses the
errata filed against it, removes the optional (*,*,RP), PIM Multicast
Border Router features and authentication using IPsec that lack
sufficient deployment experience (see Appendix A), and moves the PIM
specification to Internet Standard.

This document is a product of the Protocols for IP Multicast Working Group of the IETF.

This is now an Internet Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

---

From: William Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 21:52:58 -0500

At last!

My felicitations to all who contributed to making this happen: the
original authors, the revisers, the PIM chairs, those who submitted
errata, and those who responded to the survey that made promotion to
full standard possible.

  Bill

On 11/03/2016 7:05 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> pim mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

-- 

Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email:[email-masked]
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8

---

From: "Jeffrey (Zhaohui) Zhang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 04:15:03 +0000

draft-parekh-pim-rfc4601bis-00 was published on May 24, 2011.
The entire process took five whole years :-)

As Bill said, thanks to everyone who contributed to this!

Jeffrey

> -----Original Message-----
> From: pim [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of William Atwood
> Sent: Friday, March 11, 2016 9:53 PM
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pim] STD 83, RFC 7761 on Protocol Independent Multicast -
> Sparse Mode (PIM-SM): Protocol Specification (Revised)
> 
> At last!
>

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 16:01:32 -0700

Congrats guys! I'm sure no one thought it would take that long. Thanks
authors and everyone else involved for your work. That includes Bill
too.

Stig