Subject: [pim] some comments on draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr-04.txt

From: "S.Sami" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 04:23:21 +0430

Hi.
After reading the draft, i found out that you are trying to eliminate 
Shared trees and the need for the first packet to be sent to the LHR by 
making the FHR flood the SG information in a BSR kind of message sent 
hop by hop until it reaches the LHR. and it is sent each 60 seconds.

I am wondering what will happen to the domain if there are multiple FHRs 
simultaneously flooding. considering that almost all the routers will be 
involved in receiving and forwarding  the messages, wont this process 
take to much network resource? and wont it take long for the LHR to find 
the desired source?

What will happen if a downstream router doesn't want to receive the SG 
messages, or better to say is not an LHR for any Group? will it send a 
prune kind of a message or it is mandatory for routers to forward the 
messages all the time? and if it does send the prune, what happens if 
right after the prune it needs to receive the info again, or better to 
say it needs to become an LHR? will the routers save the source to group 
mappings, whether they are an LHR or not? or will they simply process 
and forward?

Don't you think the processes introduced in PIM-NG( draft-sami-pim-ng) 
with regards to the elimination of shared path trees by saving the info 
of active sources in RPs and MAPPERs, instead of joining shared trees 
are a lot faster and can support many scenarios?

Thank you.