Subject: [pim] Suresh Krishnan's No Objection on draft-ietf-pim-hierarchicaljoinattr-07: (with COMMENT)

From: "Suresh Krishnan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 21:44:10 -0700

Suresh Krishnan has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-pim-hierarchicaljoinattr-07: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-hierarchicaljoinattr/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 5 contains the following text 

"Note that it also needs to include the Join-Attribute Hello option as
specified in [RFC5384]."

but it does not talk about what exactly happens if a message is received
with the Hierarchical Join/Prune Attribute but without the
Join-Attribute. Can you clarify what happens in this case? I would also
prefer it if this can be reworded as a MUST.

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 09:20:52 -0700

Hi, I agree MUST is better. I will change that.

I'm not sure if we need to say what happens if the MUST is not adhered
to. But basically we have 2 capabilities, A and HA where HA is an
extension of A. The hello options are used for the routers to figure
out what capabilities they have. All routers supporting HA also
support A. If all routers on the link support A, but only some support
HA, then you want the routers to at least use A. The routers only
supporting A would likely not know the meaning of the HA option and
cannot figure that they also would support A.

In a way you can say it is v1 and v2 of the capability, but the hello
option is just a boolean. And routers only supporting v1 wouldn't know
that this new option indicates v2. But I don't think this needs to be
explained in the document.

Stig