Subject: [pim] Document Action: 'PIM Flooding Mechanism and Source Discovery' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 07:42:39 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'PIM Flooding Mechanism and Source Discovery'
  (draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr-12.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Protocols for IP Multicast Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr/

Technical Summary

   PIM Sparse-Mode (PIM-SM) uses a Rendezvous Point (RP) and shared
   trees to forward multicast packets from new sources.  Once last hop
   routers receive packets from a new source, they may join the Shortest
   Path Tree for the source for optimal forwarding.  This draft defines
   a new mechanism that provides a way to support PIM-SM without the
   need for PIM registers, RPs or shared trees.  Multicast source
   information is flooded throughout the multicast domain using a new
   generic PIM flooding mechanism.  This allows last hop routers to
   learn about new sources without receiving initial data packets.

Working Group Summary

   There has only been positive feedback for moving this draft to an
   experimental RFC. We have complete consensus for progressing this 
   document after face to face meeting discussions and on the list. 

Document Quality

  There is at least one implementation and a couple of deployments.

Personnel

   Mike McBride, PIM WG co-chair is the Shepherd.
   Alvaro Retana is the Area Director.