Subject: [pim] Fwd: Last Call: <draft-ietf-lisp-signal-free-multicast-07.txt> (Signal-Free LISP Multicast) to Experimental RFC

From: Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:06:51 -0500

FYI…

On February 13, 2018 at 12:52:29 PM, The IESG ([email-masked])
wrote:

The IESG has received a request from the Locator/ID Separation Protocol WG
(lisp) to consider the following document: - 'Signal-Free LISP Multicast'
<draft-ietf-lisp-signal-free-multicast-07.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-02-27. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

When multicast sources and receivers are active at LISP sites, the
core network is required to use native multicast so packets can be
delivered from sources to group members. When multicast is not
available to connect the multicast sites together, a signal-free
mechanism can be used to allow traffic to flow between sites. The
mechanism within here uses unicast replication and encapsulation over
the core network for the data-plane and uses the LISP mapping
database system so encapsulators at the source LISP multicast site
can find decapsulators at the receiver LISP multicast sites.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-signal-free-multicast/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-signal-free-multicast/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---

From: Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 13:49:54 -0800

On February 19, 2018 at 4:34:08 PM, Dino Farinacci ([email-masked])
wrote:

We gave presentations of LISP signal-free multicast a couple of times in
MBONED/PIM WG in the past couple of years. I have included some
presentations (listed in chronological order) to help in understanding for
your review. Thanks.

Thanks Dino!

I just took a quick look at the mail archive and didn’t see much.  I’m glad
you have a better memory than I do! :-)

Alvaro.

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 13:51:12 -0800

Some of those were presented at MBONED/PIM WGs but not all of them. But I also included the ones we presented at the LISP WG.

Dino

> On Feb 19, 2018, at 1:49 PM, Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> On February 19, 2018 at 4:34:08 PM, Dino Farinacci ([email-masked]) wrote:
> 
>> We gave presentations of LISP signal-free multicast a couple of times in MBONED/PIM WG in the past couple of years. I have included some presentations (listed in chronological order) to help in understanding for your review. Thanks. 
> 
> Thanks Dino!
> 
> I just took a quick look at the mail archive and didn’t see much.  I’m glad you have a better memory than I do! :-)
> 
> Alvaro.