Subject: [pim] Issues with pim registers

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 12:46:18 -0700

Hi, I'm posting this as a WG chair.

In the last meeting we had presentations of two drafts proposing
alternatives or changes to the existing pim register mechanism, but we
didn't have time to discuss them. The drafts were:

draft-ramki-pim-null-register-packing
draft-anish-reliable-pim-registers

It would be great if people can provide comments on the drafts. I also
think it could be a good start if we could have a discussion about
what problems people are seeing today. What issues motivated the
authors to propose these drafts, and what issues are other people
seeing with the current pim register mechanism.

I believe these mechanisms may also apply to pim anycast-RP, so issues
with that could also be interesting to consider.

I'm hoping this email can start some discussion. While I'm suggesting
discussing pim register issues in particular, any thoughts people have
would be more than welcome.

Thanks,
Stig

---

From: "Vikas Ramesh Kamath (vikkamat)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 18:56:56 +0000

Hello,

As part of draft-ramki-pim-null-register-packing, we have proposed a new standard for PIM NULL register and register stop messages. The motivation for this draft came from the issues seen in customer environments where the high number of PIM NULL registers were causing traffic drops.

We believe this new packet format will not only solve the above mentioned problem but also will help in optimizing bandwidth in the network by minimizing the number of NULL registers/register stops exchanged in the network. Please let us know your thoughts/feedback on this

Thanks,

Vikas

On 4/20/18, 12:46 PM, "pim on behalf of Stig Venaas" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    Thanks,

    Stig

    _______________________________________________

    pim mailing list

    [email-masked]

    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim