Subject: State of the WG

From: [email-masked] (Igor Faynberg)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:06:45 -0500

Subject: State of the WG

	Ladies and Gentlemen:

Steve and I have been quite happy to observe no disagreements with the work
in progress.  While Lawrence and Scott are prepairing the final copy of the
PINT protocol draft, Dan and Murali have been quietly putting the MIB
skeleton together. Yet another activity progressing without much pomp is
implementations (we counted five at the last meeting).

Based on this peaceful picture, it appeared to us that there were no
burning issues to be resolved in March, and so we do NOT need to schedule
the PINT meeting for the 44th IETF.  The deadline for submitting the agenda 
is near, and the decision to hold or not to hold the meeting must firm up.  If 
you feel there are things that need to be discussed in March (and cannot wait 
until July) please post them. Again, as of now, it is fairly clear that no
meeting is necessary.

For the future, we welcome the implementation reports. The PINT schedule (Re:
April, 1999) also opens the discussion of the proposals for possible future
work, if PINT is to continue. To this end, Steve and I held a preliminary
discussion with our ADs, which concluded with the following guidelines:

1) The charter might (that is subject to first ADs' and then the IESG approval) 
   be extended toward richer set of services AS LONG as the principle of the 
   Internet host (not PSTN) initiating calls is maintained. Thus, Internet
   Call Waiting is not a service to be considered in PINT; 

2) The proposals SHOULD identify building blocks rather than individual 
   services or service features; and

3) Naturally, the new charter would still have nothing to do with Internet 
Telephony.

Based on what we have learned in the past two years, I personally tend to 
think that the IN CS-2 Call Party Handling (CPH) model (for services such as 
conference calling) is best example of building blocks falling into the 
existing PINT architecture.  

Well, those are the kinds of things we may discuss on the mailing list in April.

With best regards,

Igor

---------
This message came from the IETF PINT Working Group Mailing List.