Subject: uri = octet-stream?

From: [email-masked] (Lawrence Conroy)
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 17:10:29 +0000

Happy New Year, folks,

I promise that an interim version of the PINT draft will be out in the next
couple of days. It will only be a lightly-tweaked version, I'm afraid; the
more substantial rewording (and the ABNF) will have to wait for a week.

Whilst I'm in "draft-tweaking" mode I wonder if we need the description of the
"application/uri" MIME type. I don't think that this is needed in the
draft, as "application/octet-stream" could be used in its stead.

In all of the PINT media descriptions, the media line just describes the
kind of data object, and, if this is unknown, then the
"application/octet-stream" type can be used as it is with other protocols
(notably most HTTP servers). The associated format specific attribute line
indicates the source of the data object. The type "application/uri" is no
longer used to "tag" the format of the following attribute line (it hasn't
been for a while), so it seems to me that this is just a "hangover" that
can be replaced with the type "application/octet-stream".

Basically, for "uri" read "octet-stream" on every m= line.

Any comments?

All the best, Lawrence
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Lawrence Conroy,    | "These Opinions must be mine, 'cos if they    |
| Roke Manor Research |  were my Company's they'd charge you for them"|
|- [email-masked]  ---+- Tel: +44 1794 833666  Fax: +44 1794 833434 --|

---------
This message came from the IETF PINT Working Group Mailing List.