Subject: Protocol Action: The PINT Service Protocol:Extensions to SIP and SDP for IP Access to Telephone Call Services to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 09:21:56 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'The PINT Service
Protocol:Extensions to SIP and SDP for IP Access to Telephone Call
Services' <draft-ietf-pint-protocol-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard.
This document is the product of the PSTN and Internet Internetworking
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner and Vern
Paxson.

Technical Summary
 
  This document contains the specification of the PINT Service Protocol,
  which defines a protocol for invoking certain telephone services from an IP
  network. These services include placing basic calls, sending and receiving
  faxes, and receiving content over the telephone. The PINT protocol is
  specified as a set of enhancements and additions to the SIP and SDP
  protocols.

  Three functions are defined by the PINT protocol: Request to Call, Request
  to Fax, and Request to Hear Content. An example usage of the PINT protocol
  would be by a web server that would like to send a request to a traditional
  telephone (POTS) service provider to place a phone call between a call
  center run by a company and a customer of that company in response to a
  mouse click on a web page.

Working Group Summary

  This document has strong support in the working group and no issues were
  raised during IETF last-call.

Protocol Quality

 The document was reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner.  There are a
  number of implementations in development.

Note to IANA: Igor Faynberg <[email-masked]> will serve as the
 		  Pint "expert" to the IANA.

---------
This message came from the IETF PINT Working Group Mailing List.