Subject: PINT 'm= modem'?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 13:44:28 -0700

Hey list,

	Has anyone out there considered allowing a media type of 'modem' in
the SDP associated with a PINT request? Today, of course, there are such
values as 'pager' and 'fax' (even 'html'), but something like a modem would
probably be covered under the generic blanket of audio/voice. I ask because
there are potentially services that involve a PSTN-Internet gateway calling
out to a desktop modem that could fall under the PINT paradigm; one in which
two legs of a call are originated from a gateway (or perhaps one leg targets
components integrated with the gateway) in which it could useful, for
routing purposes, to specifically flag the legs as 'modem' calls in the SDP.
These might not necessarily be 'click-to' services, but some sort of events
in the Internet could result in the need to acquire a connection with a
modem.
	Is there any document to date associated with PINT that examines
cases like this? If not, is there any prevailing sentiment about the
inclusion of such a category in the PINT standard?
	Thanks.

Jon Peterson
Level(3) Communications

---------
This message came from the IETF PINT Working Group Mailing List.