Subject: [PINT] information needed

From: "Stephane Nicoll" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:02:14 +0200

Hi to all pint workers,

I've already ask you some information on PINT and i've bought yout last book Igor. I have accomplished some works on two months but now i'm faces with several questions.

1) Anyone has an url to get rfc2848 in PDF or PS format ?
2) I'm searching of things relating to the difficulty for providing PINT services and TNIP services as well.

The purpose of my thesis is to find out which protocols are best suited to provide PINT and TNIP services (that is to say provide IN on the internet and "vice versa") and what are the problems to provide these services. 

Every help, url, books are welcome.

Many thanks again to all of you

Stephane

---

From: Igor Faynberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:53:39 -0400

Stephane Nicoll wrote:

>  Hi to all pint workers,
>
> Hi there!
> ....
>   2) I'm searching of things relating to the difficulty for providing
> PINT services and TNIP services as well. The purpose of my thesis is
> to find out which protocols are best suited to provide PINT and TNIP
> services (that is to say provide IN on the internet and "vice versa")
> and what are the problems to provide these services.

Stephane, you may want to take a look at the SPIRITS WG page
(http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/spirits-charter.html)--that is what
the thing that was at certain time referred to as TNIP had become.
There, you will find all the answers your questions (see also the
supporting link). Specifically, you will find there a draft
"Pre-Spirits Implementations of PSTN-initiated Services," which has
recently been approved as an Informational RFC. This document talks
about present implementations of both PINT services and Internet Call
Waiting. (I don't think there were difficulties in implementations, at
least one thing I can say with confidence is that we experienced none
here in Lucent.) We are expecting implementations reports.

You may also look at the VON presentations on the subject--Scott Petrack
has made a detailed one on the E-Dial implementation at the recent VON
developers conference.

Anyway, please finish you thesis and come to work with us in PINT and
SPIRITS!

With best regards,

Igor