Subject: RE: Global unique identifier

From: Anders Rundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 16:29:45 +0200

Denis,

<snip>

>A CA can nominate the Delta Company from country FR, but another CA
>can nominate another Delta Company from the same country. There
>cannot be an ambiguity on the country name, because the way country
>names are used is well described. For any other level, the
>interpretation is free. Thus there is no way to make sure that the
>two Delta companies are the same, since there is no naming authority
>telling how "Delta Company" should be interpreted or undertsood.

This is perfectly valid in regions where no registration system exists.  In country SE
this has been solved in the same way as for persons.  Permanent unique IDs.

Actually I don't understand how tax authorities can separate the two Delta Companies
if there are no naming conventions.

There are very few global standards for this, but CAs usually have restricted geographic coverage.

<snip>

Anders

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:00:46 -0400

>restricted geographic coverage.

Usually????

SInce most CAs deployed today are within businesses.

And many businesses are global.

And some of these businesses are planning on central CAs with regional RAs....

You should see General Motor's  DN's (unless they changed them from 6 
months ago).  Of course GM DOES have at least one  CA in each country, but 
they are all rooted in c=US.

In the long run, most certificates are going to be issued by private CAs 
for business use.  DNs will reflect business needs, and there will be only 
lip service to national boundaries.

Robert Moskowitz
ICSA
Security Interest EMail: [email-masked]