Subject: Re: Permanent identifiers in QC

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 22:51:08 +0200 (MET DST)

> 
>  Peter> ...
>  Peter> In most cultures, you don't change names *VERY* often.
> 
> In a fair number of cultures, somewhat less than half the people
> change their name at least once during their lifetime.

Let's say: Most persons once. (depending who choose the name
of the other partner and so on). 

> 
> Also, in some countries (the USA for example), quite apart from that
> general rule, you're pretty much free to change your name if you
> wish.  In fact, when immigrants are naturalized they are specifically
> told that this may be a good time to consider changing their name.

Right, if I ever try to become French I can also do that change my
name to Pierre Dubois or Roch Lasilve :-)

Anyway: If you change your name, you might WANT the consequence of
loosing the relationship automatically detectable by an RP.

It might be interesting to consider a certificate that contains
a subject with the newname and an alternatesubject with the old name
and this cert could be used to show it to some relying party in order
to establis a link.

Also, for pseudonyms, CA could create a cert, so that the subject CAN
use it to show ist REAL identity, for example.

---

From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 10:34:38 +0200

Peter,

(snip)
 
> loosing the relationship automatically detectable by an RP.

Yes, since Permanent identifiers are OPTIONAL.

Denis