Subject: RFC 2511 (CRMF) OID question

From: Ari Kermaier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 13:00:22 -0400

In RFC 2511 Section 7, the following definition is presented for using
name-value pairs as a registration control:
-----------------------------------
    id-regInfo-asciiPairs    OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { id-regInfo 1 }
    --with syntax OCTET STRING
-----------------------------------

In Appendix C, the following definition is given, which appears to
introduce an OID conflict:
-----------------------------------
id-regInfo-utf8Pairs    OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { id-regInfo 1 }
--with syntax
UTF8Pairs ::= UTF8String
-----------------------------------

And in Appendix B.1, the following definition appears to introduce an
ambiguity regarding the definition of the UTF8Pairs type
(UTF8String or OCTET STRING ?):
-----------------------------------
    When regInfo is used to convey one or more name-value pairs (via id-
    regInfo-utf8Pairs), the first and subsequent pairs SHALL be
    structured as follows:

       [name?value][%name?value]*%

    This string is then encoded into an OCTET STRING and placed into the
    regInfo SEQUENCE.
-----------------------------------

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Ari Kermaier <[email-masked]>