Subject: Re: Signing what you don't understand

From: "Anders Rundgren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 15:41:32 +0200

Piers,

>I would welcome comments from this forum on their opinion of the validity of
>signatures where the private key and end-user are not co-located.

This is now for real as VISA-EU has lost faith in the original SET model
with local key/cert and will aggresively push a server-based model.  Way to go IMO!

But this was maybe more than you asked for, beacuse the signatures are
also created on the server (wallet) which is not the same as downloading
private keys when needed.

In German unfortunately:

http://www.visa.de/df/presse/pressetexte/000619_001.htm

Anders

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:25:05 -0400 (EDT)

>>>>> "Anders" == Anders Rundgren <[email-masked]> writes:

 Anders> Piers,
 >> I would welcome comments from this forum on their opinion of the
 >> validity of signatures where the private key and end-user are not
 >> co-located.

 Anders> This is now for real as VISA-EU has lost faith in the
 Anders> original SET model with local key/cert and will aggresively
 Anders> push a server-based model.  Way to go IMO!

What does that mean?

 Anders> But this was maybe more than you asked for, beacuse the
 Anders> signatures are also created on the server (wallet) which is
 Anders> not the same as downloading private keys when needed.

 Anders> In German unfortunately:

 Anders> http://www.visa.de/df/presse/pressetexte/000619_001.htm

Unfortunately that document doesn't actually say anything.  It's just
marketing vapor.  

Do you have a reference that contains information?

      paul