Subject: RE: p12 and cer, der,crt

From: "Luo, Feng (Exchange)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:42:24 -0400

What I like to do is, when you  export the certificate from netscape, it's
with P12 extension, I want to convert it to der, cer or crt extension, which
allows the user to excute it and install certificate on the webpage.

-feng

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Richard Levitte [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Tuesday, July 11, 2000 1:33 PM
> To:	Luo, Feng (Exchange)
> Cc:	[email-masked]'
> Subject:	Re: p12 and cer, der,crt
> 
>  << File: SMIME.txt >> 

***********************************************************************
Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, 
offer or agreement or any information about any transaction, customer 
account or account activity contained in this communication.
***********************************************************************

---

From: Oscar Jacobsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 23:03:56 +0200

> allows the user to excute it and install certificate on the webpage.

OK, fair enough.

Then you would need a two-step process:

1. Extract the Certificate from the PFX, which is easily done using the
OpenSSL command line tools as Richard mentioned, and save it to disk
using -outform DER.

2. Associate whatever extension you gave to the file containing your
Certificate with the appropriate MIME-type for the "installation" you
want in your webserver configuration:

application/x-x509-user-cert: meaning that the cert is meant for the
user of the browser, who should have the corresponding private key.

application/x-x509-ca-cert: meaning that the cert is meant to be added
as a trusted certification authority.

application/x-x509-email-cert: meaning that the cert belongs to another
user and is to be used to encrypt e-mail to them.

More info on the MIME types is available from
http://www.netscape.com/eng/security/comm4-cert-download.html

Cheers!

//oscar