Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-pkalgs-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 06:37:52 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure    
                          Representation of Public Keys and Digital Signatures
                          in Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure  
                          Certificates
	Author(s)	: L. Bassham, R. Housley, W. Polk
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-pkalgs-00.txt
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 21-Jul-00
	
This is the first draft of a specification of algorithm identifiers
and encoding formats for the representation of cryptographic keys,
associated parameters and digital sigantures in Internet Public Key
Infrastructure X.509 certificates and certificate revocation lists.
This specification was created by combining Section 7, Cryptographic
Support, from RFC 2459 with the Internet-Draft 'Representation of
Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm (ECDSA) Keys and
Signatures in Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificates'.
This specification is a companion to the 'son of 2459';
implementations must also conform to 'son of 2459'.  This document
does not define the cryptographic algorithms themselves; instead, it
references other appropriate standards.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-pkalgs-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-pkalgs-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-pkalgs-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Linn, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:25:21 -0400

A few quick comments re pkalgs-00:

Some of the contents of Section 2 seem incongruous, given the
algorithm-focused scope of this document.  I'm not sure, for example,
whether or how the contents of 2.1 (about assumed communications
environments) are intended to relate to the algorithms within; this seems a
system-level issue which might fit in son-of-2459 but is a higher level of
abstraction than the algorithms discussed here.  Other subsections of
Section 2 have the same character. Also, sections 2.2 and 2.4 describe the
document's goals as specific to ECDSA; if retained, they should probably be
broadened to cover all of the algorithm families described in the document.

Per 3.1.1, an IPR statement posted earlier this year on
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/RSA-MD-all removes the PEM-specific treatment
of MD2, permitting (like MD4 and MD5) its implementation independent of
usage. 

Per 3.2.1, suggest updating PKCS #1 reference from RFC-2313 (corresponding
to PKCS #1, v. 1.5) to RFC-2437 (corresponding to PKCS #1, v. 2), which
obsoleted 2313; the defined signature method and associated OIDs are
unchanged between these versions. 

--jl