Subject: RE: Should PKIX protocols support XML well?

From: Peter Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:35:15 -0800

Ignorance abatement:

http://gca.org/whats_sgml/whats_sgml_regist_process.htm registration process

http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006#dt-extent application to XML

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2732.txt URIs

An XML registry information page
http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/xmlRegistry.html

An example US military (SGML entity) registry: http://www.asrl.com/

Mcrosoft provision of XML infrastructure to fair percentage of the
Internet http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/general/xmlparser.asp

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Kent [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2000 3:35 PM
To: Anders Rundgren
Cc: PKIX-List
Subject: Re: Should PKIX protocols support XML well?

Anders,

I am obviously ignorant of the means by which XML schemas are 
assigned globally unique names to avoid the collision problems 
alluded to in other messages. Coould you explain how that works?  Is 
it hierarchic like OID and DNS, or is it complete distributed and 
probabilistic in its collision avoidance, like some certificate 
serial number assignment schemes we've learned about?

We know how to manage OIDs, and we have considerable experience in 
doing it for several years. I presume that an XML approach to solving 
the problem has less of a track record, although that does not mean 
it may not become equally viable in the future.

Steve

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 19:31:03 -0500

Peter,

thanks so much.  However, someone else already provided me with a 
concise explanation, privately, and without the need for me to 
retrieve and read the cited documents.

Steve