Subject: RE: Security with XML vs ASN.1. Was: Should PKIX protocols suppo rt XML well

From: Michael Zolotarev <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:11:52 +1100

Anders,
 
> > The profile defined by PKIX is as flexible as anything 
> else, and using ASN1
> > makes no difference in this regards compared to XML.
> 
> For market acceptance (=deployment) some people in this list 
> do not share your views entirely.
> 
I'm used to it. That's what a discussion list is for, right?

<snip>

> Windows won over OS/2 due to pre-install (default).  XML will 
> do the same with ASN.1.

But we are arguing oranges and apples here. XML will win over ASN in the
areas where XML fits best, and ASN is NOT USED AT ALL - business
communications and transactions. So XML is winning with no competitors,
virtually. Nobody is proposing to use ASN1 in that domain.

<snip>
> 
> Pardon me for refraining to "marketing BS" but if the 
> majority of PKIX still believe that schemas
> is a largely redundant feature created for an ignorant 
> e-business developer community, 
> marketing BS is all that is left... :-) :-)

Anders, I believe that "the majority of PKIX" firmly believes that schemas
is a brillian feature, no kidding, "created for an ignorant 
e-business developer community". And a lot of other communities with
different levels of ignorance or advancement. And I don't recall anybody
saying that schemas are redundant. Not exactly necessary and brilliant as a
replacement for existing ASN-based approach in PKIX protocols - yes, some
people in this list did say it :)

Michael

---

From: Khaja Ahmed <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:15:36 -0500

Anders Rundgren wrote:
>I have been adviced to start a new WG to avoid further clashes or going
> for two solutions for every protocol.  What do U think?

This would be an excellent thing.  There is a lot of important work being
done outside of IETF which can now be done within IETF if this were to
happen.  This would marry IETFs strengths in the arena of developing well
reviewed and robust standards with important market needs.

Khaja