Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-technr-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 06:01:16 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Technical 
                          Requirements for a non-Repudiation Service
	Author(s)	: T. Gindin
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pkix-technr-02.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 27-Nov-00
	
This document describes those features of a service which processes
signed documents which must be present in order for that service to
constitute a 'technical non-repudiation' service.  A technical
non-repudiation service must permit an independent verifier to
determine whether a given signature was applied to a given data
object by the private key associated with a given valid certificate,
at a time later than the signature.  The features of a technical non-
repudiation service are expected to be necessary for a full non-
repudiation service, although they may not be sufficient.
This document is intended to clarify the definition of the
'non-repudiation' service in RFC 2459.  It should thus serve as a
guide to when the nonRepudiation bit of the keyUsage extension should
be set and to when a Certificate Authority is required to archive
CRL's.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-technr-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pkix-technr-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-technr-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Tom Gindin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:09:15 -0500

I have posted this draft with the intention of publishing it as an
Informational RFC.  The WG chairs are aware of this intent, and they
approve of my proposing its publication.

          Tom Gindin

---

From: Hal Lockhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:28:26 -0500

> approve of my proposing its publication.

I think it is very useful and now routinely point people to it whenever I
hear them throwing around the term non-repudiation to refer to anything that
involves a digital signature.

Can you summarize the changes from draft 1? I can't find my copy.

Hal

---

From: "Tom Gindin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:44:04 -0500

The main changes are in the determination of what the last acceptable
revocation time is in 2-way NR.  Statements were also added to support the
inclusion of an NR policy identifier in a receipt, as given in ISO 13888
for NR tokens, and about which revocations of a third-party certificate
would compromise NR and which would not.

     Thanks for your kind remarks,
          Tom Gindin

Hal Lockhart <[email-masked]> on 11/28/2000 12:28:26 PM

To:   Tom Gindin/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-technr-02.txt

I think it is very useful and now routinely point people to it whenever I
hear them throwing around the term non-repudiation to refer to anything
that
involves a digital signature.

Hal