Subject: a path forward on DPD & DPV

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:45:52 -0500

During this week's IETF, Tim and I held  several meetings with the 
authors of the drafts for SCVP and for the OCSP v2 extensions that 
deal with delegated path discovery and validation. We have arrived at 
the following procedure and time line for selecting a single solution 
from these competing protocols.

1. I will send a message examining the rationales for developing 
facilities to support delegated path discovery (DPD) and validation 
(DPV). This message will propose requirements and criteria for 
evaluating proposed solutions that offer these services, and will be 
issued before the end of this month. Many of the issues discussed in 
this message were presented at the WG meeting on Tuesday afternoon.

2. The WG will discuss the proposed requirements and evaluation 
criteria during January and we will reach closure by the end of the 
month, with a final set of requirements and criteria. During this 
time, advocates for each solution may refine their proposals to track 
the evolving requirements and criteria.

3. During February, the proponents of each approach will have an 
opportunity to revise their proposals to better match the finalized 
requirements and criteria, and to present arguments demonstrating how 
their proposals meet the requirements and evaluation criteria.

4. By the first (full) week of March the WG will select a single 
protocol as the standard. If the WG chairs do not feel that (rough) 
consensus has been achieved, a straw poll will be conducted. This 
should constitute WG last call, since the selected protocol document 
should be stable and thoroughly reviewed.

This schedule permits a final decision to be reached prior to the 
next IETF meeting, which takes place 3/19-23, in Minneapolis. 
However, we probably will not manage to reach (or complete) IETF last 
call prior to this meeting, so we should not expect IESG approval 
until late April, at the earliest.