Subject: New IBM algorithm encrypts and authenticates simultaneously

From: "Anders Rundgren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 18:18:29 +0100

http://www.research.ibm.com/resources/news/20001130_security_tech.html

---

From: Ed Gerck <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 10:14:15 -0800

It is not true that IBM's was the first algorithm to simultaneously
encrypt and certify information. At least my own DVC algorithm,
patent pending and used in public official trials of Internet voting
this October in California, also encrypts and certifies in the same
operation *and* token.  The information is available at
www.safevote.com -- a licensee of the technology.

Cheers,

Ed Gerck

---

From: "Peter Lipp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 14:03:46 +0100

>encrypt and certify information.

All they claim is they were the first doing it in half the time :-)

>>New algorithm first to perform encryption and authentication
simultaneously in half the time

Is there any pointer to a more technical description of that?

Peter

---

From: "David Carman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 09:54:22 -0500

I believe the attached draft corresponds to the marketing/news.

FYI - DWC

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Peter Lipp [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2000 8:04 AM
> To: Ed Gerck; Anders Rundgren
> Cc: PKIX-List
> Subject: AW: not first, Re: New IBM algorithm encrypts and
> authenticates simultaneously
> 
> 
> >It is not true that IBM's was the first algorithm to
> >simultaneously encrypt and certify information.
> 

Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-jutla-ietf-ipsec-esp-iapm-00.txt
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <IETF-Announce:>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 06:04:08 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: A Parallelizable Authenticated Encryption Algorithm
                          for IPsec
	Author(s)	: C. Jutla
	Filename	: draft-jutla-ietf-ipsec-esp-iapm-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 21-Nov-00
	
This document  describes a new authenticated encryption
mode of operation of block ciphers called 'Integrity
Aware Parallelizable Mode (IAPM)' which is simple,
efficient, highly parallelizable, and provably secure.
One of the main features distinguishing the new mode
(IAPM) from existing modes is that along with providing
confidentiality of the payload, the new mode also pro-
vides authenticity of the payload. This is particularly
relevant to the ESP security protocol of IPsec.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jutla-ietf-ipsec-esp-iapm-00
.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jutla-ietf-ipsec-esp-iapm-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jutla-ietf-ipsec-esp-iapm-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jutla-ietf-ipsec-esp-iapm-00.txt

---

From: Ed Gerck <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 08:38:51 -0800

> All they claim is they were the first doing it in half the time :-)

Yes, you can read the first phrase this way too -- whatever half the time is ;-)
But in the news piece you read: "By combining the two steps, this security
algorithm will help accelerate e-business processes throughout the industry.” "

So, the key issue here is "combining the two steps". It is a very important
development by IBM.

This IBM announcement is important (and thanks to Anders for copying
it here) because it may be another drive, and a strong one, to look into
certification models that can provide (fro example) non-repudiation by including
encrypted secrets that require the cooperation of the certificate holder in order to
be revealed. These models may also need to  interface/interoperate with PKIX
as they advance.

> Is there any pointer to a more technical description of that?

I did not find any further info on IBM's algorithm but maybe Tom Gindin
or someone from IBM in this list might be able to help?

Cheers,

Ed Gerck