Subject: Re: AW: not first, Re: New IBM algorithm encrypts and authenticates simultaneously

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 15:48:57 -0600

Ed et all,

Details can be found at
http://csrc.nist.gov/encryption/aes/modes/jutla-auth.pdf

Regards,

Mark

Mark Vandenwauver, PhD
Senior Security Architect
Tivoli e-Zone Solutions Designs and Customer Projects

Bridgepoint III
6300 BridgePoint Parkway
Building III - Office A5004
Austin, Tx 78731

e-mail: [email-masked]
WWW: http://www.tivoli.com/security
Telephone: +1(512)436-1585
Fax: +1(512)436-1199

Tivoli - an IBM division

Ed Gerck <[email-masked]> on 12/03/2000 10:38:51 AM

To:   Peter Lipp <[email-masked]>
cc:   Ed Gerck <[email-masked]>, Anders Rundgren
      <[email-masked]>, PKIX-List <[email-masked]> (bcc: Mark
      Vandenwauver/Tivoli Systems)
Subject:  Re: AW: not first, Re: New IBM algorithm encrypts and
      authenticates   simultaneously

Peter Lipp wrote:

> >It is not true that IBM's was the first algorithm to simultaneously
> >encrypt and certify information.
>
> All they claim is they were the first doing it in half the time :-)

Yes, you can read the first phrase this way too -- whatever half the time
is ;-)
But in the news piece you read: "By combining the two steps, this security
algorithm will help accelerate e-business processes throughout the
industry.” "

So, the key issue here is "combining the two steps". It is a very important
development by IBM.

This IBM announcement is important (and thanks to Anders for copying
it here) because it may be another drive, and a strong one, to look into
certification models that can provide (fro example) non-repudiation by
including
encrypted secrets that require the cooperation of the certificate holder in
order to
be revealed. These models may also need to  interface/interoperate with
PKIX
as they advance.

> >>New algorithm first to perform encryption and authentication
> simultaneously in half the time
>
> Is there any pointer to a more technical description of that?

I did not find any further info on IBM's algorithm but maybe Tom Gindin
or someone from IBM in this list might be able to help?

Cheers,

Ed Gerck