Subject: CMP question

From: Margus Freudenthal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 12:41:47 +0200

Hello.

The RFC 2510 (or its successor) does not define how one should respond
to announcement messages (i.e. certificate announcement, revocation
announcement, CRL announcement).  In some cases (mostly for revocation)
the sending party needs to know that the receiver has really got and
understood the message.  It seems to me that the receiver should reply
with Confirmation to indicate that the message was OK or with
ErrorMsgRep, if it wasn't.

Any other suggestions?

-- 
Margus Freudenthal                           [email-masked]
Cybernetica                                  http://www.cyber.ee/

---

From: Carlisle Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:35:19 -0500

Hi Margus,

> ----------
> From: 	Margus Freudenthal[SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 	Monday, December 18, 2000 6:13 AM
> To: 	Carlisle Adams
> Cc: 	PKIX list
> Subject: 	Re: CMP question
> 
> Hello.
> 
> > Carlisle Adams wrote:
> > 
> > If "the sending party needs to know that (a particular) receiver has
> > really got and understood the message", then the sender should use
> > some mechanism other than a broadcast announcement to achieve this.
> 
> In that case, what CMP message should be used for sending "personal"
> announcements which require confirmation receipts?
 
That sort of facility is not in the currently-specified CMP messages.  A new
genMsg / genRep pair would have to be defined to accommodate this.

I have to admit, however, that (to me) the words "personal" and
"announcement" don't seem to go that well together.  I think that most
people associate the concept of an "announcement" with several recipients,
each of whom may or may not send any kind of response.

Carlisle.