Subject: OCSP performance metrics

From: "Ray Beauregard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 12:38:21 -0500

To all,

	I am trying to help out a client who has an OCSP responder to frame some
"real world" performance metrics for testing. I have scoured the net looking
for any information on this and have been unsuccessful so far. I am hoping
the folks on this mail list might be able to point me in a beneficial
direction.
	Specifically, I would like to find out what are reasonable test numbers for
some of the following:
	OCSP request response time (i.e., what is an acceptable response time? 1
second? 3 seconds? .5 seconds?
	OCSP concurrent threads (i.e., how many concurrent OCSP requests should the
responder be able to service in an acceptable time?)
	Directory publishing and size (i.e., how much and how often will companies
publish certs to the directory? Will it be more "typical" that companies
will do a large bulk publish at inception, then just publish intermittently
thereafter? Or, are there implementations that would publish large numbers
of certs (and CRLs, etc.) on a continuous basis?
	I sincerely hope that I have sent this to the appropriate mail list, and I
thank anyone in advance for helping out.

Ray Beauregard
Boss Rhino Systems, Inc.
39 Old Grafton Road
Upton, MA 01568

email: [email-masked]
phone: 508.529.6169
cell: 508.259.1810
http://webpages.charter.net/rayb