Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-usergroup-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 07:21:04 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The PKIX UserGroupName GeneralName Type
	Author(s)	: M. StJohns
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pkix-usergroup-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 11-Jan-01
	
A number of systems which understand X.509 client certificates have
developed various ad-hoc mechanisms to map a certificate to a
userid/group value which can then be used for access control.  The
mechanisms include peculiar name forms for the SubjectName field
such as encoding the userid as a CommonName and the group as an
OrganizationalUnit, or mapping the certificate against an entry in a
directory system. This document descibes an otherName extension of
the GeneralName type which can be used in the SubjectAltName
extension or IssuerAltName extension to directly encode userid and
group information.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-usergroup-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pkix-usergroup-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-usergroup-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.