Subject: RFC2630: Need clarification

From: Bernd Matthes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 12:35:37 +0100

Hi!
At first a happy new year to all!

I need a clarification to following sentence from RFC 2630,
section 11.4, Countersignature:
"The countersignature attribute must be an unsigned attribute; it
 cannot be a signed attribute, an authenticated attribute, or an
 unauthenticated attribute."

What is the difference between: 
a) signed attribute <-> authenticated attribute
b) unsigned attribute <-> unauthenticated attribute
to relate to CMS?

Where is located a (un)authenticated attribute in an
signed-data CMS?
I thought, it exist as (un)signed attribute in the SignerInfo,
or is this complete beside them?

Thanks in advance
with kind regards
-- 
Mors certa, hora incerta. In dubio pro mille.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernd Matthes                   Celo Communications GmbH
Senior Software Engineer    	Weissenfelser Strasse 46a   
Nachrichtentechniker            D 06217 Merseburg           
Dipl.-Ing.(FH)                  http://www.celocom.com      
  f. technische Informatik      mailto:[email-masked]   
http://www.worldbug.de          Tel.: +49 3461/3318-0       
mailto:[email-masked]      Fax:  +49 3461/415072
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"When in doubt, use brute force." (Ken Thompson)

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 03:40:22 -0800

First - Questions on CMS should be directed to the S/MIME mailing list not
the PKIX mailing list.

Authenticated and Unauthenticated attributes occur in the AuthenticatedData
structure (section 9).  The statement is just being made that a counter
signature is not present in the AuthenticatedData structure.

jim schaad

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernd Matthes [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 3:36 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RFC2630: Need clarification

Hi!

Thanks in advance
with kind regards