Subject: NSPW 2001 CFP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:25:34 -0500

========================================================================
                            Call For Papers
                  New Security Paradigms Workshop 2001
                    An ACM/SIGSAC sponsored workshop
                         11 - 13 September 2001
                       Cloudcroft, New Mexico, USA
                           http://www.nspw.org
========================================================================

2001 is the tenth anniversary of the New Security Paradigms Workshop
(NSPW), which has provided a productive and highly interactive forum for
innovative new approaches to computer security. The workshop offers a
constructive environment where experienced researchers and practitioners
work alongside newer participants in the field.  The result is a unique
opportunity to exchange ideas. NSPW 2001 will take place September 11 -
13, 2001 at the Cloudcroft Lodge, Cloudcroft, New Mexico, 20 miles from
Alamogordo/White Sands.

In order to preserve the small, focused nature of the workshop,
participation is limited to authors of accepted papers and conference
organizers. Because we expect new paradigms we accept wide-ranging
topics in information security. Any paper that presents a significant
shift in thinking about difficult security issues or builds on a
previous shift is welcomed.

NSPW is highly interactive in nature. Authors are encouraged to present
ideas that might be considered risky in some other forum. All
participants are charged with providing feedback in a constructive
manner. The resulting brainstorming environment has proven to be an
excellent medium for furthering the development of these ideas. Many
authors have mentioned that they received more useful feedback and ideas
than from any other conference. The proceedings, published after the
workshop, have consistently benefited from the inclusion of workshop
feedback.

What makes a paper acceptable for NSPW? While we reject plenty of
excellent papers that would do very well at other venues, our eclectic
program committee particularly looks for new paradigms, innovative
approaches to older problems, early thinking on new topics that are not
necessarily fully polished, and controversial issues that might not make
it into other conferences but deserve to have their try at shaking and
breaking the mold. Conversely, a great paper that does not have a new
paradigm, does not challenge the status quo, or does not critique an
older paradigm will almost certainly get rejected.

To participate, please submit your paper, justification, and attendance
statement, preferably via e-mail, to both Program Chairs -- Brenda
Timmerman <[email-masked]> and Darrell Kienzle <[email-masked]>
-- by Friday, March 30, 2001 (hardcopy submissions must be received by
Friday, March 23, 2001). Further details on the required format of
submissions follow.

1 - Your Paper
You should submit either a research paper, a 5 - 10 page position paper,
or a discussion topic proposal. Submissions of any type must not have
been published elsewhere. Discussion topic proposals should include an
in-depth description of the topic to be discussed, a convincing argument
that the topic will lead to a lively discussion, and any other
supporting materials.

Softcopy submissions should be in Postscript, PDF, Word/RTF or ASCII
format. Papers may be submitted as hardcopy. To submit hardcopy, please
mail 5 (five) copies to Program Co-chair Brenda Timmerman. Please allow
adequate time for delivery.

2 - Justification
You should describe, in one page or less, why your paper is appropriate
for the New Security Paradigms Workshop. A good justification will
describe the new paradigm being proposed, explain how it is a departure
from existing theory or practice, and identify those aspects of the
status quo it challenges or rejects.

3 - Attendance Statement
You should state how many authors wish to attend the workshop. Accepted
papers require the attendance of at least one author. In order to ensure
that all papers receive equally strong feedback, all attendees are
expected to stay for the entire duration of the workshop.

The program committee will referee the papers and notify the authors of
acceptance status by June 8, 2000. We expect to be able to offer a
limited amount of financial aid to those who require it. More
information will be provided on our web site <http://www.nspw.org> as it
becomes available.

Workshop General and Vice Chairs

Steven J. Greenwald              Cristina Serban
Independent Consultant           AT&T Labs
2521 NE 135th Street             307 Middletown-Lincroft Rd.
North Miami, FL 33181 USA        Lincroft, NJ 07748 USA
Email: [email-masked]             Email: [email-masked]
Voice: +1 (305) 944-7842         Voice: +1 (732) 576-3279
Fax: +1 (305) 489-8129           Fax: +1 (732) 576-6406

Program Committee Co-Chairs

Brenda Timmerman                 Darrell Kienzle
California State University      NAI Labs at Network Associates
18111 Nordhoff Street            8000 Westpark Dr. Suite 600
Northridge, CA 91330-8281 USA    McLean, VA 22102 USA
Email: [email-masked]      Email: [email-masked]
Voice: +1 (818) 677-7341         Voice: 703-356-4938
Fax: +1 (818) 677-2140           Fax: 703-821-8426

Program Committee

Bob Blakley, Tivoli Systems
Thomas E. Daniels, CERIAS/Purdue University
Heather Hinton, Tivoli Systems
Jun Li, University of California, Los Angeles
Carla Marceau, Odyssey Research Associates
Cathy Meadows, Naval Research Laboratory
Ira Moskowitz, Naval Research Laboratory
Susan Pancho, University of Cambridge
Kai Rannenberg, Microsoft Research, Cambridge
Emilia Rosti, Universita` degli Studi di Milano
Sami Saydjari, SRI International
Abe Singer, University of California, San Diego
John Michael Williams, USA
Bradley J. Wood, SRI International

Local Arrangements
John McHugh, SEI/CERT, +1 (412) 268-7737 <[email-masked]>

Financial Aid
Hilary Hosmer, Data Security Inc., +1 (781) 275-8231
<[email-masked]>
John McHugh, SEI/CERT, +1 (412) 268-7737, <[email-masked]>

Publicity
Crispin Cowan (WireX Communications, Inc.) +1 (503) 241-6575

ACM-SIGSAC Chair
Ravi Sandhu (George Mason University) +1 (703) 993-1659

Steering Committee
Bob Blakley, Steven J. Greenwald, Hilary Hosmer, Darrell Kienzle,
Catherine Meadows, Cristina Serban, Brenda Timmerman, Mary Ellen Zurko