Subject: Re: CPS Pointer

From: [email-masked] (Terry Hayes)
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 10:01:01 -0700

I think the current text is fine.  I don't think there is any benefit in 
requiring or suggesting that CAs use particular forms of URIs.  This 
should be left as "a local matter".

Terry Hayes

Housley, Russ wrote:

> Trevor Freeman noticed we don't have any guidelines for what forms of 
> URI are supported with the CPS Pointer.  Presently, we say:
>
>    The CPS Pointer qualifier contains a pointer to a Certification
>    Practice Statement (CPS) published by the CA.  The pointer is in the
>    form of a URI.  Processing requirements for this qualifier are a
>    local matter.  No action is mandated by this specification regardless
>    of the criticality value asserted for the extension.
>
> So, we are not mandating any behavior on the client.  Perhaps we 
> should say something about the CA.  Trevor suggests that HTTP and FTP 
> forms of URI are sufficient.  Does anyone see any reason to support 
> other protocols for CPS fetching?
>
> Russ