Subject: RE: delta-CRLs

From: Sharon Boeyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 13:08:31 -0400

Sorry to help 'drag out' this discussion, but a couple of points:

1) Denis, your comment about CRL numbers needing to be unique, regardless of
the scope of the CRL is incorrect. Check the text in 509 clause 8.5.2.1 (CRL
number extension) which says "This CRL extension field conveys a
montonically increasing sequence number for each CRL issued by a given CRL
issuer through a given authority directory attribute or CRL distribution
point. ..."  

For that reason, another extension was added (see 8.5.2.7 of 509) called
cRLStreamIdentifier. This is used to identify the context within which the
CRL number is unique. 

Second, I want to make sure everyone understands that the quote from 97 509
12.6.3.3 by David is text that was replaced in the 4th edition because it
was overly restrictive. 

As for the length of messages, I know I find myself constantly quoting 509.
Others do the same and others quote 2459. I do believe the editors have
worked closely together to ensure that what we end up with in PKIX is a
profile of 509 (with changes being made to both documents as required).
However, I can't help but wonder if we could cut down on the length of some
of these messages if everyone who cares about the topic would first go and
read both documents before submitting messages that purport to state what
the standards say. This discussion is taking a lot of time on the part of
many people and perhaps we could cut down on some of that by going back and
reading what the standards say. 

(It's friday afternoon, what can I say :-)

Sharon

---

From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 11:34:24 +0200

Sharon,

I nearly missed you e-mail. Sorry about this.

> 1) Denis, your comment about CRL numbers needing to be unique, regardless
> of the scope of the CRL is incorrect. Check the text in 509 clause 8.5.2.1
> (CRL number extension) which says "This CRL extension field conveys a

As it has already been responded, the delta CRL and the base CRL have the
same scope and thus must have unique numbers.

Denis

> Second, I want to make sure everyone understands that the quote from 97
> 509 12.6.3.3 by David is text that was replaced in the 4th edition because
> it was overly restrictive.
> 
> As for the length of messages, I know I find myself constantly quoting
> 509. Others do the same and others quote 2459. I do believe the editors
> have worked closely together to ensure that what we end up with in PKIX is
> a profile of 509 (with changes being made to both documents as required).
> However, I can't help but wonder if we could cut down on the length of
> some of these messages if everyone who cares about the topic would first
> go and read both documents before submitting messages that purport to
> state what the standards say. This discussion is taking a lot of time on
> the part of many people and perhaps we could cut down on some of that by
> going back and reading what the standards say.
>