Subject: CMP and CRMF (again)...

From: Carlisle Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 16:49:15 -0400

Hi all,

I have submitted "draft-ietf-pkix-rfc2510bis-04.txt" and
"draft-ietf-pkix-rfc2511bis-02.txt" to the internet-drafts address; they
should show up soon at the usual repositories.

As you may know, calls for a clean-up of the ASN.1 modules in CMP and CRMF
have necessitated yet another revision of the specs.  One of those "callers"
has been kind enough to look over the revised ASN.1 modules.  Although
they're still not ideal (88 syntax importing 93 or 97 syntax, mixing
EXPLICIT and IMPLICIT in the process), the fixable syntax errors (adding a
semicolon to the end of the IMPORT section, etc.) have been fixed and he can
live with these improved versions.

As well, I've taken this opportunity to make a small number of other minor
changes to take into account feedback from Peter Gutmann, YongChul Kwon,
Jeff Brinskelle, and Magnus Nystrom; see pages 23 ("senderKID" text), 28
("For simplicity" text), 36 ("rand" text), 46 ("Supported Languages"
section; see also p.87), and 76 (1st and 3rd paragraph, and 1st bullet).

Call me starry-eyed, but I persist in my belief that these specs are now
ready to go to IESG for consideration for advancement to Draft Standard
status.  Interoperability testing has been on-going, and increasingly
successful, over the past couple of years and the necessary clarifications
have been reflected in the drafts since RFCs 2510 and 2511.

Bob:  could you please ensure that some document reflecting the successful
interoperability testing of all the MUSTs and SHOULDs is sent to Tim and
Steve as soon as possible?

Tim, Steve:  once you receive this document from Bob, could you please begin
the process of moving these onto the IESG agenda?

Thanks again to everyone for all the feedback over the years on these specs!

Carlisle.