Subject: DPV and DPD

From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 17:51:58 +0200

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories. A URL for this Internet-Draft is:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-dpv-dpd-00.txt

In the advertisement, the abstract has been cut down. The full abstract 
is the following:

This document specifies two protocols. The first one, called Delegated 
Path Validation (DPV) can be used to fully delegate a path validation 
processing to an DPV server, according to a set of rules called a 
validation policy. 

The second one, called Delegated Path Discovery (DPD) can be used to 
obtain from a DPD server all the information needed (e.g. leaf 
certificates, CA certificates, full CRLs, delta-CRLs, OCSP responses) 
to locally validate a certificate according to a set of rules called 
a path validation criteria. This provides a single protocol to collect 
at one time all data elements that normally require different 
protocols.

It also defines an optional protocol allowing to define the set of 
rules to validate a certificate or to build a path for a certificate.

Since I am going on vacations on Friday July 13 th and will be back
the week prior to the next IETF meeting in London (that I will attend) 
this does not give me much time to discuss it. A few hints:

At the last meeting, OCSPv2 was discussed quite heavily. I still find that
the approach of trying to extend OCSPv1 to support both DPV and DPD is not
the right approach. I also believe that the services, as being described, 
do not fullfill some objectives.

Instead of trying to make corrections that would have been quite major, 
I have written a new draft. It takes some inputs from the work that has been
done in the S/MIME WG and re-uses some of the ASN1 structures that have been
defined in a document that should be published soon (?) (i.e. when the TSP 
document is published). The document is currently referenced as "Electronic 
Signature Formats for long term electronic signature" and is available at:
http://www.imc.org/draft-ietf-smime-esformats.

I have prepared some slides to present the document at the London meeting.

Denis