Subject: Re: New draft of son-of-2459

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 18:12:35 +0200 (MET DST)

It sounds that there is a misunderstanding about 
what can  'OID negociation protocol'. There is nothing
in a OID to negotiate. An OID is just "a sequence of number which are
organised in a hierachical way." One might think about 'negociation of
some features and using OIDs to name them", but this is not a
PKIX work item as far as I know. 

-- 

OTOH,  I may have a need for such a mechanism, in order to get the 
"Simple Protocol" working.

It consists of exchanging a SP-request and retrieving and SP-response. 
The actual encoding can be in several forms, in BER/DER, XML, lisp-style, 
rfc2822 style.

In ASN1 the specification of both SP-request an SP-response is

  SEQUENCE of Extensions

the other encodings are TBD.

The detection of the encoding uses the following heuristics on the first character:

ASN1  : "0"   "c'est nul"
XML   : "<"   inferiour
LISP  : '('   always some additional remark
RFC   : 'A-Z' blabla, in the beginning there was the word.

can this protocol use an OID negociation protocol in order to 
specify the 'semantics' of the Extensions.

Ooups, wrong date. /6° ON A FRENCH KEYBOARD

> 
> Steve -
> you are wrong. An OID negotiation protocol would allow the use of the certs
> and their extensions without the third party lookup process, and it for a
> number of more autonomic uses of PKI it does make sense.
> 
> OIDs can be infinitely more useful than they have been to date, but not
> without some better negotiations processes. Here is the obvious place to
> start that.
>

---

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 19:00:20 +0200 (MET DST)

ooups, that was not intende for the list, no harm was intended
in case that someone could misinterprete this.