Subject: Re: New draft of son-of-2459 (Was: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-new-part1-08.txt)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:19:02 +0000

No, what I want is for the protocol to not mandate that 
I go to a third party to use it.

T.

--
Regards,
Todd
> Todd:
> 
> We agree that no PUBLIC registration is needed.  However, the coding that 
> you suggest to handle OID collisions is likely to be error prone.
> 
> You say that you have several PEN arcs.  If you assign an OID from one of 
> those, it will be unique (unless you are sloppy and use the same one for 
> more than one purpose).  You do not have to tell anyone that you made the 
> assignment, the associated syntax, or the associated semantics.  Just use 
> it in your application.  As long as the extension is marked non-critical, 
> it will be ignored by everyone else.  If the extension is marked critical, 
> everyone else will reject the certificate -- maybe that is what you want.
> 
> Russ

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:43:28 -0400

>I go to a third party to use it.

Todd,

We have a number of protocols in the IETF that make use of OIDs and 
they all make the assumption that someone who wants a new OID will go 
through the process of getting it assigned under some arc that is 
part of the global registration system, to avoid collisions.  People 
have been able to deal with this model for a number of years and 
although it is not perfect, the problems people have had are not the 
one you allude to.  We're not going to change the model now.

Steve

---

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 20:02:52 -0700

Steve -
you are wrong. An OID negotiation protocol would allow the use of the certs
and their extensions without the third party lookup process, and it for a
number of more autonomic uses of PKI it does make sense.

OIDs can be infinitely more useful than they have been to date, but not
without some better negotiations processes. Here is the obvious place to
start that.

Todd

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Kent" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 8:43 AM
Subject: Re: New draft of son-of-2459 (Was:
I-DACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-new-part1-08.txt)

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 10:08:06 -0400

>without some better negotiations processes. Here is the obvious place to

Rodd,

What I said was that we are not going to consider changing the OID 
model based on your suggestions.  Relative to that comment, I am 
right :-).

Steve