Subject: RE: "Subject Alternative Name" v/s "Subject/Serial Number"

From: Richard Culshaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 09:32:44 +1100

Hi all,

what happened in Australia was this,

the Australian Government wanted to put the ABN (Australian business number)
(a social security type number for companies) into certificates.  They
looked into it and decided the best place for it was in a private extension.
It has its own OID:
1.2.36.1.333.1 and what follows this OID is the 11 or 12 digit ABN number,

it is simple for applications to parse the certificate and find the ABN
number located within.

Regards,

Richard Culshaw 

-----Original Message-----
From: Roberto Opazo Gazmuri [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, 27 January 2002 8:32 AM
To: PKIX (Grupo de la IETF)
Subject: "Subject Alternative Name" v/s "Subject/Serial Number"
Importance: High

Hi, my name is Roberto Opazo, this is my first mail sent to the group.

In Chile we have finished approving the law of electronic signature and we
are initiating conversations to define the regulation that must complement
this law. A central subject of the discussion is how information of the
national unique roll, called RUN (Rol Unico Nacional) should be included in
certificates. That is a number only associate to each citizen in all the
country. It is a comparable identifier to the social security number
insurance in the U.S.A. but its use is but spread, since most of the
Chileans they obtain his RUN when being born and practically all the
computer science applications of the country use it to identify the users.
An important precedent in our country about the form to include this
identifier in a certificate is a resolution of the Service of Internal Taxes
that it establishes that the extension "Subject Alternative Name " is due to
use. The organization who I represent (Acepta.com) is promotional of this
form of codification. Nevertheless, a local CA, who uses technology of RSA
Labs argues that this is difficult to codify and difficult to read. They are
in favor to use the field "Subject" on some form. I would like to request
help with the following doubts:

* It seems to be reasonable to place a RUN in the "Subject"?

* In individual, could be used the attribute "Serial Number" of the field
"Subject" for this?

* Where I can find examples of certificates which they use the extension
"Subject Alternative Name"?

* Where I can find normative what exist of other countries that have solved
east kind of problem?

Thank you very much by its aid.

As it is my first mail to the group, them control a small presentation...

I am founding and Acepta.com's CEO, a CA developed in Chile using OpenSSL.
We were first in obtaining the accreditation on the part of the Service of
Internal Taxes of the Country on March 2001 (only 2 CAs are on this position
at this time). We have actively collaborated in the development of an
operational model to use electronic invoice that soon will begin to work and
I believe that it will leave more to Chile like one of the advanced
countries in the use of PKI, as much by the penetration in the Internet
users, like by the real value contributed by the technology.

Greetings,

Opazo, Roberto
CEO - www.acepta.com
Certification Authority for Chile