Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-certstore-http-01.txt

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 18:13:17 +1300 (NZDT)

"Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]> writes:

>This is acceptable, but I prefer one that is more straightforward to implement
>with web server tools.

That's probably the best argument for choosing MIME multipart/RFC 2585 rather
than a SEQUENCE OF, the server shouldn't need to do anything more specialised
than "fetch value based on key, via HTTP".  Any special-case processing can be
done by the client.

Peter.

---

From: Michael Ströder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 13:09:24 +0100

> than "fetch value based on key, via HTTP".  Any special-case processing can be

+1

Ciao, Michael.

---

From: Andreas Sterbenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:14:40 +0000

> than "fetch value based on key, via HTTP".  Any special-case processing can be

I don't agree. Complexity should be put in the server, not the client. 
Reason being that there are typically more client than server 
implementations and that clients may have to operate with limited resources.

I do agree that a non-standard SEQUENCE OF is suboptimal, but that 
argument does not apply for a CMS certs only message.

[Did I mention that I do not feel like implementing multipart MIME 
messages this year? ;-) ]

Andreas.