Subject: Re: TSP interop update

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:19:36 +0100 (MET)

> > 
> >   "The reqPolicy field, if included, indicates the TSA policy under
> >    which the TimeStampToken SHOULD be provided."
> 
> If the server does not support the policy, we cannot force the server to
> support it, and hence why SHALL cannot be simply substituted. In order 
> to be more explicit we could say:
> 
>    The reqPolicy field, if included, indicates the TSA policy under 
>    which the TimeStampToken SHALL be issued (provided that policy is 
>    supported by the server).
> 
Your sentence essentially contains just a substitution of SHOULD by SHALL.
Your reasoning of why SHOULD cannot be replavced by SHALL doesn't
make sense, since for example a TSA can always decide not to return a 
token simply because it doesn't like the client or 'time source not available'
and there are still MUSTs for many othre cases like a nonce for example,
you cannot "force" a TSA to return a Nonce of 1megaoctets, the text 
concerning nonce still says  'MUST be identical'.  

Anyway:

My question is not answered: Why had a change to force a policy been made in
draft 4. There was no announcement, and it was quite easy to overlook this
since in two other places requierments for policy had not been changed.

I don't think that it is necessary to have an identical policy.

---

From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:41:24 +0100

Peter,

> draft 4. 

Draft 3 was stating: "The reqPolicy field, if included, indicates the policy
under which the TimeStampToken should be provided."

Draft 4 was stating: "The reqPolicy field, if included, indicates the policy
under which the TimeStampToken should be provided."

I do not see any difference, so question is meaningless. 

> There was no announcement, and it was quite easy to overlook this

It is simmple: if a client requests a policy and if the server supports
that policy, why should the server choose a different policy ? 
Just to annoy the client ?

Denis