Subject: RE : Permanent identifier draft

From: Cotton Franck <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 18:48:39 +0100

Denis,

>Franck,

>> Denis, Tom
 
>> I think the PI draft should be re-issued on the standard track, because
>> these questions about naming and identifying are likely to become more
and
>> more important and should be discussed (cf. recent threads after Roberto
>> Opazo Gazmuri's posting).

>I agree.

>> Il you re-issue the draft, maybe you will like to add an Appendix A.3.3
>> covering the fact that most organizations already have an OID (and often
>> several) without knowing it through the mapping between ISO-6523 and OID
>> arc 1.3. For example, D-U-N-S number <N> is mapped to 1.3.60.<N>. If
>> France, every enterprise has an OID derived from its 9-digit SIRENE
number
>> <S>, which is 1.3.2.<S>.

>Before doing this, while I understand that this is "technically possible", 
>could you provide us with information which proves it is "legally feasible"

>to do it this way ?

Well I'm not an expert on ISO literature, but I think that Annex A of
ISO/IEC 6523 and ISO/IEC 8824-1 say that.

>I have browsed on the web pages from www.dnb.com and I was not able to find

>any information about the OID. It is important to make sure the holder of 
>the organization OID is indeed willing that its tree below can be used in 
>this way. The same applies for INSEE.

What you register under ISO6523 is not an organisation but a code system and
a registration authority for that
code system. The mapping, as I understand it, is not just limited to the
ICD, but goes down the whole tree below that.
See
http://www.isi.salford.ac.uk/staff/dwc/Version.Web/AppendixA/appendixa.htm
for an example.

>Looking forward for more information.

>Regards,

>Denis

>> There are a many coding systems declared under ISO-6523 (EAN, SWIFT,
>> EDIRA, ...), see
>>
http://xw2k.sdct.itl.nist.gov/l8/document-library/draft-standards/ICD-list.h
tm
>> 
>> Franck Cotton
>> INSEE - http://www.insee.fr

---

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:53:19 -0800

RE : Permanent identifier draft
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Cotton Franck 
  To: 'Denis Pinkas' 
  Cc: 'Tom Gindin' ; [email-masked]' 
  Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 9:48 AM
  Subject: RE : Permanent identifier draft

  Denis, 

SNIP

  Well I'm not an expert on ISO literature, but I think that Annex A of ISO/IEC 6523 and ISO/IEC 8824-1 say that. 

  >this way. The same applies for INSEE. 

  What you register under ISO6523 is not an organisation but a code system and a registration authority for that 
  code system. The mapping, as I understand it, is not just limited to the ICD, but goes down the whole tree below that. 
  See http://www.isi.salford.ac.uk/staff/dwc/Version.Web/AppendixA/appendixa.htm for an example. 

So then perhaps each document type gets a TST assigned to it and then the TSA needs to understand the different token formats and making them interoperable to the extent that the policy-vecotr for the TST's will overlay enough that like  constructs can be compared from entity to entity (as represented by the TST's).

  >> http://xw2k.sdct.itl.nist.gov/l8/document-library/draft-standards/ICD-list.htm 
  >> 
  >> Franck Cotton