Subject: Protocol Action: Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and CRL Profile to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 18:31:25 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Drafts 'Internet X.509 Public Key
Infrastructure' <draft-ietf-pkix-new-part1-12.txt> and 'Algorithms and
Identifiers for the Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure'
<draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-pkalgs-05.txt> as Proposed Standards. These
documents are the product of the Internet X.509 Public Key
Infrastructure (PKIX) Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Jeff
Schiller and Marcus Leech.

Technical Summary

  These document defines a profile for X.509 Version 3 certificates and
  X.509 Version 2 Certificate Revocation Lists (CRLs) for use on the
  Internet. It addresses both the cryptographic issues (what has to sign
  what) as well as introduces a rich policy framework for determining
  whether or not a particular certificate should be trusted or not in a
  given context.

  Document formats (Certificates and CRL) are defined as are operation
  and management protocols.

Working Group Summary

  These documents are the product of significant discussion and effort
  on the part of the members of the PKIX Working Group. There is Working
  Group Consensus on them.

Protocol Quality

  These specifications were reviewed for the IESG by Jeffrey
  I. Schiller. In addition these documents received significant review
  in the security community and are believed to be correct.