Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-acrmf-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 07:21:48 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Attribute Certificate Request Message Format
	Author(s)	: P. Yee
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pkix-acrmf-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 01-Feb-02
	
The Certificate Request Message Format ([CRMF]) specifies a format
for requesting an X.509 public key certificate from a Certification
Authority (CA), possibly with assistance from an Local Registration
Authority (LRA).  This specification, ACRMF, is modeled on CRMF,
extending similar functionality to requests for X.509 attribute cer-
tificates from Attribute Authorities (AA), possibly via an Attribute
Registration Authority (ARA).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-acrmf-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pkix-acrmf-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-acrmf-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:45:10 +0000

Peter,

Glad to see someone's picked up on this topic. Coupla initial 
comments:-

- Shouldn't this say that the ACs in question are to be conformant
  to [ACPROF]? Presumably this'd also mean that some fields in this
  spec have to obey the same profiling rules too, which sounds like
  a good idea.
- What's [ACMC] from november 2001? (Maybe its about to pop out?)
- The old LAAP protocol effectively allowed (the equivalent of) a regInfo
  value to select the "type" of AC to be produced - this draft seems to
  preclude that. Did I read it wrong or don't you think that's needed?
- Lastly, I never did come across a use case where a client would want
  to specify a really complicated AttrCertTemplate - have you? Absent
  that I'd have to say that this is maybe more complex than it needs
  to be.

Stephen.

-- 
____________________________________________________________
Stephen Farrell         				   
Baltimore Technologies,   tel: (direct line) +353 1 881 6716
39 Parkgate Street,                     fax: +353 1 881 7000
Dublin 8.                mailto:[email-masked]
Ireland                             http://www.baltimore.com