Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-certstore-http-02.txt

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 04:19:30 +1300 (NZDT)

Andreas Sterbenz <[email-masked]> writes:

>I continue to disagree with the decision to use multipart MIME for the reasons
>previously stated by me and others.

Most respondents were in favour of multipart, because they didn't want to build
an ASN.1 encoder into their database.

Peter.

---

From: Andreas Sterbenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 15:55:35 +0000

> an ASN.1 encoder into their database.

I may be wrong, but here's my count:

multipart: 3 (Peter Gutmann, Russ Housley, Michael Stroeder)
PKCS#7 or SEQUENCE: 3 (Andreas Sterbenz, Peter Sylvester, Eric Murray)

And as pointed out by Dr. Henson, a CMS certlist can be generated 
without an ASN.1 encoder if indefinite length encoding is used.

I don't want to discuss this more than necessary, but I believe another 
look is warranted.

Andreas.

---

From: Dr S N Henson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 19:08:15 +0000

> without an ASN.1 encoder if indefinite length encoding is used.

Needless to say SEQUENCE OF can be handled similarly. Its encoding is:

30 80 <SEQUENCE tag, indefinite length>
	<concatenation of all certificates>
00 00 <EOC>

Steve.
-- 
Dr Stephen N. Henson.   http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/
Personal Email: [email-masked] 
Senior crypto engineer, Gemplus: http://www.gemplus.com/
Core developer of the   OpenSSL project: http://www.openssl.org/
Business Email: [email-masked] PGP key: via homepage.