Subject: v1.3 R8 Enhanced SNACC Freeware Now Available

From: "Pawling, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:29:03 -0500

All,

Getronics Government Solutions has delivered the v1.3 R8 Enhanced SNACC
Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1) Compiler, C++ library and C library
source code compilable for Linux, Sun Solaris 2.8 and Microsoft (MS) 
Windows NT/98/2000/XP.  The Enhanced SNACC software is freely available
to everyone from: <http://www.getronicsgov.com/hot/snacc_home.htm>.  The
v1.3 R8 Enhanced SNACC release fixes bugs present in the v1.3 R7
release.
 
The Enhanced SNACC ASN.1 software can be used to ASN.1 encode and decode
objects.  In past releases, Getronics enhanced the original SNACC ASN.1 
C++ library to implement the Distinguished Encoding Rules (DER), support

large ASN.1 INTEGERs, and improve memory usage.    

v1.3 R8 Enhanced SNACC ASN.1 Library enhancements (compared to v1.3 R7):

 1) Fixed bug in processing of BMP strings on UNIX platforms.  

 2) Removed dependencies on SNACC config.h in distributed includes/libs.

 3) Developed a test driver and successfully tested the Enhanced SNACC
C ASN.1 Library.  We corrected bugs in the C Library DER code.  

 4) Corrected bug in sm_vdasnacc.cpp (line 303) regarding setting the
length value for indefinite length decodings. 

 5) Corrected AsnOcts to use inherited CSM_Buffer Length() member
function instead of AsnOcts maintaining it's own length data member.  

 6) Corrected memory management bug in AsnOid::PutChar in asn-oid.cpp.

 7) Tested with v2.0.1 S/MIME Freeware Library (SFL) 
<http://www.getronicsgov.com/hot/sfl_home.htm> that uses the Enhanced
SNACC ASN.1 software to encode and decode the IETF S/MIME v3 
Cryptographic Message Syntax (RFC 2630) and Enhanced Security 
Services for S/MIME (RFC 2634) security protocol.  

 8) Tested with freeware v2.0.1 Certificate Management Library (CML)
<http://www.getronicsgov.com/hot/cml_home.htm> that uses the Enhanced
SNACC ASN.1 software to encode and decode X.509 certificates, 
attribute certificates and Certificate Revocation Lists as specified
in the 2000 X.509 Recommendation.

 9) Tested with freeware v2.0.1 Access Control Library (ACL)
<http://www.getronicsgov.com/hot/acl_home.htm> that uses the Enhanced
SNACC ASN.1 software to encode and decode security labels and other 
objects (such as Security Policy Information Files) required to
provide rule based automated access control as specified in SDN.801.

The aforementioned bug fixes improved the multi-threaded performance
of the Enhanced SNACC ASN.1 C++ Library.

The Enhanced SNACC ASN.1 software implements the majority of the 
ASN.1 encoding/decoding rules as specified in the 1988 X.209 
Recommendation.  It implements the DER as specified in the 1994 
X.690 Recommendation.  It does not support all of the latest ASN.1
features, but there are strategies that allow it to be used to 
produce ASN.1 hex encodings that are identical to those produced by
ASN.1 libraries that do support the latest ASN.1 features.  Also note
that many of the PKIX specs, such as RFC 2459 and RFC 2630, include 
1988-compliant ASN.1 syntax modules which can be compiled using the
Enhanced SNACC compiler.

The Enhanced SNACC ASN.1 library is totally unencumbered as stated 
in the Enhanced SNACC Software Public License.  All source code for
the Enhanced SNACC software is being provided at no cost and with no
financial limitations regarding its use and distribution.  
Organizations can use the Enhanced SNACC software without paying
any royalties or licensing fees.  

The Internet Mail Consortium (IMC) has established an Enhanced SNACC
web page <http://www.imc.org/imc-snacc/>.  The IMC has established 
an Enhanced SNACC mail list which is used to: distribute information 
regarding Enhanced SNACC releases; discuss related issues; and 
provide a means for integrators to provide feedback, comments,
bug reports, etc.  Subscription information for the imc-snacc
mail list is at the IMC web site listed above.

We welcome all feedback regarding the Enhanced SNACC software.
If bugs are reported, then we will investigate each reported
bug and, if required, will produce a patch or an updated
release of the software to repair the bug. 

This release announcement was sent to several mail lists,
but please send all messages regarding the Enhanced SNACC 
software to the imc-snacc mail list ONLY.  Please do not send 
messages regarding the Enhanced SNACC software to any of the 
IETF mail lists.  We will respond to all messages sent to the
imc-snacc mail list.

===========================================
John Pawling, [email-masked]
Getronics Government Solutions, LLC
===========================================