Subject: About Proof of Private Key

From: "narendra" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 11:01:25 +0530

Dear Group Members,
      How CA checks the validity of public key against corresponding private
Key?

regards,
narendra.

--------------------------------------------
Parmar Narendrasinh Abhesinh
Numen Technologies Pvt.Ltd,
505 "ADITYA"
Opp.Sardar Patel Seva Samaj,
Off.C.G.Road,Ahmedabad-380 006.India
Phone no:- +91-79-6466136/6466310 ex-46,47,48

---

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 09:47:21 -0400

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic.  Please take a look at 
the threads on Proof of Possession in the archive 
(http://www.imc.org/ietf-pkix/mail-archive/maillist.html).

In general, the CA should have the potential subscriber prove that they can 
perform private key operations with the key that corresponds to the public 
key submitted for certification.  In the case of signatures, this is 
straightforward, just have the potential subscriber sign something.  In the 
case of key management keys, such as Diffie-Hellman keys, the situation is 
less straightforward.  See RFC 2875 for a discussion of this topic.

Russ