Subject: Re: Web-PKI Keygen/Certreq Questions

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 00:37:58 +1300

Jean-Marc Desperrier <[email-masked]> writes:

>Have a look at the way CRMF format key request generation are used inside
>Netscape 7/Mozilla.

That's a special case because CRMF was designed to handle this situation.
However, most apps (based on traffic in crypto newsgroups/mailing lists) are
still using PKCS #10, which wasn't (it dates back to X.509v1, so you can't
really blame it for that).

Peter.

---

From: Jean-Marc Desperrier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:33:06 +0100

>That's a special case because CRMF was designed to handle this situation.
Yes, but I think James was waiting for the correct solution to this 
problem, and it's not to try to customize pkcs#10.

In the direction where I pointed him, he can find an actual 
implementation of the mechanism and the source code, so it should make 
it easy to understand how it really works.