Subject: draft meeting minutes

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 06:33:25 -0500

The following draft minutes are submitted for WG review and comments 
from speakers.

Steve
------

PKIX WG Meeting 3/1/04

Edited by Steve Kent

Chairs: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]> & Tim Polk <[email-masked]>

The PKIX WG met once during the 59th IETF. A total of approximately 
49 individuals participated in the meeting.

Agenda review and document status - Steve Kent (BBN) using slides 
from Tim Polk (NIST)
	The backlog of WG documents has subsided a bit. Several new 
RFCs have been issued, or will be issued soon.  Logotypes was issued 
as RFC 3709. Proxy certificates is in the RFC editors queue as is the 
IP address and AS identifier document. Qualified certificates has 
been approved by the IESG.  The warranty extension document requires 
revisions before being forwarded to the RFC editor.
	Several documents are in the hands of the ADs: permanent 
identifier, attribute certificate policies, extensions for wireless 
LANs, and repository locator service.  CRMF and CMP require revisions 
before progressing. SCVP and PK algorithms are in WG last call. The 
path building and ECC (NIST curves) documents are ready for last 
call, and SIM is getting closer. LDAP specs, and OCSPv2 extensions 
are ongoing work items.  Interoperability tests are being performed 
by several vendors, in preparation for progression of RFCs 3279/3280.

Subject Identification Method - Jongwook Park (KISA)
This presentation reviewed changes from previous draft, and responses 
to 21 comments received during WG last call.

CRMF (RFC 2511bis) - Jim Schaad (Soaring Hawk Consulting)
	Jim took over as editor, and has made significant updates. He 
sees several outstanding issues yet to be resolved, that are blocking 
progress. Some of the POP methods appear to be vulnerable, and thus 
need to be dropped or fixed. Also, the DH-MAC POP algorithm should be 
made more algorithm generic, e.g., to accommodate ECC algorithms. 
Need to fix some underspecified parts of registration token, 
archival, and registration info features of the protocol. Will take 
this up on the list to determine how critical these features are, 
especially with regard to POP. Possible outcomes are: removal of some 
(or all) of these features, or fixes that address the problems.

RFC 3039bis (Qualified Certificates) - Russ Housley (Vigil Security)
	Russ reviewed the sequence of events associated with a large 
number (38) of comments received from Denis Pinkas during the IETF 
Last Call for this document. At this point there are only five 
comments outstanding, and all are essentially editorial in nature. 
However, if the document is to be changed to accommodate these 
remaining changes, if will be necessary to reprocess the document 
through a 7-step process. This the WG has a choice: option 1: it can 
proceed with the document in its current form; option 2: it can make 
the suggested changes, and proceed with the 7-setp process Russ 
outlined. Russ asked for a show of hands from attendees as to which 
option was preferred. Russ invited comments from the floor on the 
choices, and several individuals expressed the opinion that the first 
four comments are trivial editorial changes that could be made during 
the RFC editor's 48-hour final revision interval. Several folks 
expressed the opinion that the security considerations text should 
appear in a more general document, e.g., RFC 3280. The show of hands 
indicated that the attendees strongly preferred the first option, 
although there were a few hands in support of option two.

---

From: "Stefan Santesson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:33:23 -0000

Steve:

The following text in "RFC 3039bis (Qualified Certificates)" seems to
have some problems.

> remaining changes, if will be necessary to reprocess the document
                     ^^
> through a 7-step process. This the WG has a choice: option 1 ...
                            ^^^^

/Stefan