Subject: ADMINISTRIVIA: viruses, worms, and so on

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:42:04 -0800

Greetings again. As many of you can tell, there is a new type of 
malware that is sending out short messages with spoofed addresses. A 
few have hit this mailing list. It appears that I have not perfected 
the Procmail filter to prevent these. FWIW, I appear to have 
perfected the Procmail filter for most of the other nasties going 
around, and have deflected dozens that would have made it to this 
list.

As usual, don't execute anything that is sent on this (or any other) 
mailing list. Don't trust my filters to protect you. Be careful.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: "ESPINET Didier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:31:08 +0100

For your information, the last virus spread out in this mailing list yesterday was the variant S of the well known BAGLE worm (BAGLE.S). It was identified by some antivirus systems as BAGLE.O.
I suggest you to check your configuration. BAGLE.S runs a process named "directs.exe" which opens port 81 and runs a basic web server used by the worm to spread itself.
Note: as often, only Windows platforms are concerned.

Didier ESPINET
GEMPLUS IT Security Manager

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Paul Hoffman / IMC [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: vendredi 19 mars 2004 00:42
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: ADMINISTRIVIA: viruses, worms, and so on
> 
> 
>