Subject: RE: Request for new work item - Defining an SRV RR otherName

From: "Manger, James H" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 11:26:23 +1000

RE: draft-santesson-pkix-srvrr-00

How about using UTF8String, instead of IA5String?  The latter does not gain much (it can still include chars such as 0x00, newline, bell that are presumably not valid in SRV RR names), while the former should be more future-proof.

      SRVRRName ::= UTF8String

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Santesson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, 19 May 2005 11:53 PM
To: Manger, James H

When I talked to Russ we thought that IA5String would be sufficient so I
did put that in as a start, but I'm completely open to a change to
UTF8String.

Could you post the suggestion to the pkix list to see if there are any
other reactions?

---

From: Jean-Marc Desperrier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:42:28 +0200

>Could you post the suggestion to the pkix list to see if there are any
It's already really a pity that dNSName forces us to store SAN in ACE 
encoding, instead of being able to put the real unicode value, so I'm 
all for not doing the mistake again.