Subject: [draft-ietf-pkix-sim-04.txt]

From: "Jaeho Yoon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 09:19:31 +0900

Dear PKIX WG members,

Please review and comment on the following draft : 
Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Subject Identification Method (SIM)
<draft-ietf-pkix-sim-04.txt> 

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-sim-04.txt

This document defines Privacy-Enhanced Protected Subject Identifier(PEPSI) format for including a privacy sensitive identifier in the subjectAltName extension of a certificate. The PEPSI is an optional feature that may be used by a relying parties to determine whether the subject of a particular certificate is also the person corresponding to a particular sensitive identifier.
        
Regards, 

Jaeho Yoon

---

From: Andrew Sciberras <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 12:03:13 +1000

Jaeho Yoon wrote:

Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Subject Identification
Method (SIM)

Hi,

Just a couple of little things...

Since your defining ASN.1 types, it would probably be a good idea to
reference an ASN.1 specification, including the year. The year is
important because newer versions of the specification wont accept (or
compile) your ASN.1 module do to the usage of the UTF8String reserved
keyword as a typereference.

The [PI] reference should probably refer to RFC4043

Cheers,

Andrew

---

From: Olivier Dubuisson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 08:53:49 +0200

Andrew Sciberras wrote:

> reference an ASN.1 specification, including the year.

The right references are there:
http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/en/standards/index.htm

> The year is

Why redefine the UTF8String instead of using the one standardized in the
ASN.1 standard?
-- 
Olivier DUBUISSON
France Telecom
Recherche & Developpement
R&D/MAPS/AMS - 22307 Lannion Cedex - France
t: +33 2 96 05 38 50 - f: +33 2 96 05 39 45 - http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 10:01:14 -0400

It is not fair to abuse new authors for following long-standing PKIX and 
S/MIME WG convention.  These WGs have chosen to use the 1988 ASN.1 syntax 
because there are free tools that support it.   If you have information 
about freeware tools that support the later syntax, please let us know.

Russ

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 02:34:13 +1200

Russ Housley <[email-masked]> writes:

>because there are free tools that support it.   If you have information about
>freeware tools that support the later syntax, please let us know.

These WGs have chosen to use the obsolete 1988 ASN.1 syntax because they
couldn't be bothered learning anything newer.  The (un)availability of
freeware tools is merely the most convenient red herring available to support
this position.  I'n not aware of a single OSS/freeware project that is
hampered by the unavailability of freeware ASN.1 tools (the only project of
this kind that I know of that even uses one is SFL, and that doesn't seem to
have any problems).

Peter.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 12:22:30 -0400

Peter:

SFL uses enhanced SNACC, which is freeware and it only supports the 1988 
syntax.

I do not think it is laziness.  However, I am not going to be dragged down 
that rat hole.

Russ

At 10:34 AM 5/26/2005, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> about