Subject: RFC 4043 on Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Permanent Identifier

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 14:12:28 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4043

        Title:      Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure
                    Permanent Identifier
        Author(s):  D. Pinkas, T. Gindin
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       May 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 30092
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pkix-pi-11.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4043.txt

This document defines a new form of name, called permanent
identifier, that may be included in the subjectAltName extension
of a public key certificate issued to an entity.

The permanent identifier is an optional feature that may be used
by a CA to indicate that two or more certificates relate to the
same entity, even if they contain different subject name (DNs) or
different names in the subjectAltName extension, or if the name
or the affiliation of that entity stored in the subject or another
name form in the subjectAltName extension has changed.

The subject name, carried in the subject field, is only unique
for each subject entity certified by the one CA as defined by the
issuer name field.  However, the new name form can carry a
name that is unique for each subject entity certified by a CA.

This document is a product of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509)
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.