Subject: order of name attributes in certificates, suggestion for 3280 bis

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:58:53 +0200

Hi,

It seems that many people regularily put RDNs in in the wrong direction
or sometimes almost arbitrary order into certificate DNs.

One of the reasons are different textual representaion that are used by
different tools and protocol (like LDAP)

When reading 3280 it is not obvious that people are aware the hierarchical
nature of the name, the only indication may be the specification of the
permitted/excluded name tree.

Would it be possible to include a reminder to 3280bis in some way?

Peter

-- 
To verify the signature, see http://edelpki.edelweb.fr/ 
Cela vous permet de charger le certificat de l'autorité; 
die Liste mit zurückgerufenen Zertifikaten finden Sie da auch.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:38:20 -0400

Peter:

Mostly the details of the X.500 name are handled by reference, but of 
course, the ASN.1 is included.

What section do you have in mind?

Russ

At 12:58 PM 4/4/2006, Peter Sylvester wrote:
>To verify the signature, see http://edelpki.edelweb.fr/ Cela vous 
>permet de charger le certificat de l'autorité; die Liste mit 
>zurückgerufenen Zertifikaten finden Sie da auch.