Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-cert-utf8-01.txt

From: "Santosh Chokhani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:03:39 -0700

Russ,

Given the problems with UTF8 in terms of spoofing, should we not require
or strongly urge the use of printable string when printable string will
suffice?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Russ Housley
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 3:20 PM
To: Stephen Henson; pkix
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-cert-utf8-01.txt

Stephen:

>Couple of comments.
>
>Typo: "PrintiableString" in a couple of places.

I found two places....

>In the case where a string can be representable as a PrintableString is
>an implementation free to use UTF8String if it so desires?

Yes, as long as it does so everywhere to avoid cross encoding 
comparison.  Is there some place that explanation is needed?

Russ

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:19:53 -0400

Given the strong push in RFC 3280 toward UTF8String, I think raising 
PrintableString to the same level is a significant change.  However, 
if the PKIX WG thinks that your recommendation is appropriate, I am 
not opposed to it.

 From a process perspective, PKIX WG Last Call is finished.  This 
document is now in IETF Last Call.  So if this is the consensus, the 
comment needs to be made on the IETF mail list.

Russ