Subject: Free standards - Get Your Free Standards Here!!

From: Hoyt L Kesterson II <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:29:06 -0700

ITU just announced

From the beginning of 2007, ITU-T Recommendations will be
available without charge for a trial period.

With only a small number of exceptions all in-force
Recommendations will be available in PDF form via a simple mouse
click.

There is a general belief that the strategic importance of
making on-line access to ITU-T Recommendations free outweighs the
costs (in terms of lost revenue) to ITU. This is seen as a way to
increase the transparency of ITU-T work and encourage wider
participation in ITU-T activities. It is also believed that this
policy will help increase developing countries' awareness of pertinent
issues and help to promote the participation of academia in ITU-T
work.

For this group you can start at the top of the X Recommendations
here

http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-X/e

Note some strangeness. For example the ASN.1 recommendations are
offered as an aggregate and in individual recommendations. For some
reason the aggregate is not offered for free

http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-X.680-X.693-200207-I/en

However, each recommendation is offered separately for free,
e.g.

http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-X.680-200207-I/en  (for
english, spanish, and french versions)

Links to all the recommendations start here

http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/publications/recs.html

Note that this is not a release of copyright. Get them but don't
post them.

Enjoy

hoyt