Subject: asn.1 modules in 3280bis

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:43:32 +0100

It may be a bit late but I would like to propose a small change RFC 3280 
bis.

The text defines (as well as 3280) two ASN.1 modules. The definitions 
contain
two types of information:

- rewrites from X.509 etc
- new definitions like the id-pkix arc and extensions

If one wants to use the new definitions in other specifications here is
the problem of ASN.1 compatibility when imported into other
modules/
I propose to add two modules:

PKIXUsefulDefinitions which regroups definitions in such a way that
they can be imported elsewhere.
the syntax definitions for the private extensions. The actual

PKIXExtensions in current syntax to use the
EXTENSION CLASS to bind the extensions the OIDs.

If this cannot be included into the 3280bis I propose a small RFC
defining these modules.

Peter

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:02:26 -0500

Peter:

RFC 3280 includes two ASN.1 Modules:
    PKIX1Explicit88, and
    PKIX1Implicit88.

I have no objection to using three ASN.1 Modules in 3280bis:
    PKIX1Explicit88,
    PKIX1Implicit88, and
    PKIX1Extensions.

I'm sure that you could help the authors figure out which type 
definitions to move to the third module.

Russ

At 09:43 AM 1/29/2007, Peter Sylvester wrote:

>It may be a bit late but I would like to propose a small change RFC 3280 bis.
>
>The text defines (as well as 3280) two ASN.1 modules. The definitions contain