Subject: Protocol Action: 'Lightweight OCSP Profile for High Volume Environments' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:52:11 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Lightweight OCSP Profile for High Volume Environments '
   <draft-ietf-pkix-lightweight-ocsp-profile-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Sam Hartman.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-lightweight-ocsp-profile-11.txt

Technical Summary

  This document defines a lightweight profile of the Online Certificate
  Status Protocol (OCSP) that can be used to allow distributed local
  provision of cashed pre-calculated OCSP responses from a central OCSP
  server.  It is intended that the normative requirements defined in
  this profile will be adopted by OCSP clients and OCSP responders
  operating in either very large scale (high volume) PKI environments or
  environments that need minimize bandwidth or client-side processing
  power (or both).  This document addresses the scalability issues, and
  defines a message profiles for and OCSP client and responder.  The
  document includes:

  1) OCSP response pre-production and distribution;
  2) Reduced OCSP message size to lower bandwidth usage; and
  3) Response message caching in OCSP responders and clients.

Working Group Summary

  The PKIX working group expressed consensus to advance the document as
  Informational RFC.

Protocol Quality

  This document has been reviewed by members of the [email-masked]
  mailing list and by the PKIX working group chairs.

  This document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.