Subject: Removal of Upper Bounds (X.509, X.520, etc.)

From: "Erik Andersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:51:32 +0100

Hi Folks,

We have been exploring several ways of removing Upper Bounds from places
where Directory String is used. Jean-Paul Lemaire has gone several
exercises, but so far we have ended up with the simple solution also
suggested by Steven Legg.

We define a new version of DirectoryString that is unbounded. We keep the
old one as it is. This allows other specifications to import it and it
allows us to remove the upper bound selectively. Where a fixed upper bound
makes sense, we can keep it. The principle is shown below. If I do not hear
many wild protests, I will start preparing the Communications Enhancement
second PDAM text and get it in for ballot. The ballot has to complete before
our April 2008 meeting. 

DirectoryString { INTEGER : maxSize }  ::=  CHOICE  {

      teletexString     TeletexString (SIZE (1..maxSize)),

      printableString   PrintableString (SIZE (1..maxSize)),

      bmpString         BMPString (SIZE (1..maxSize)),

      universalString   UniversalString (SIZE (1..maxSize)), 

      uTF8String        UTF8String (SIZE (1..maxSize)) }

UnBoundDirectoryString ::=  CHOICE  {

      teletexString     TeletexString (SIZE (1..MAX)),

      printableString   PrintableString (SIZE (1..MAX)),

      bmpString         BMPString (SIZE (1..MAX)),

      universalString   UniversalString (SIZE (1..MAX)), 

      uTF8String        UTF8String (SIZE (1..MAX)) }

-- Attribute types --

knowledgeInformation ATTRIBUTE  ::=  {

      WITH SYNTAX             UnboundDirectoryString

      EQUALITY MATCHING RULE caseIgnoreMatch

      ID                      id-at-knowledgeInformation }

Etc.

Erik Andersen

Andersen's L-Service

Mobile: +45 20 97 14 90

e-mail:  <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]

http://www.x500standard.com/

 <http://home20.inet.tele.dk/era/me> http://home20.inet.tele.dk/era/me