Subject: [pkix] Protocol Action: 'Alternative Challenge Password Attributes for Enrollment over Secure Transport' to Proposed Standard (draft-wallace-est-alt-challenge-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 10:45:21 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Alternative Challenge Password Attributes for Enrollment over Secure
   Transport'
  (draft-wallace-est-alt-challenge-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Stephen Farrell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wallace-est-alt-challenge/

  Technical Summary

  The document defines a new set of attributes to disambiguate
  overloaded using of the PKCS #9 challengePassword attribute.  The
  new attributes retain the structure of the existing attribute but
  are identified by new object identifiers.

  Working Group Summary

  The document was discussed on the PKIX mailing list.  Since the
  PKIX working group is no longer active, this document is proceeding
  as an individual submission.

  Document Quality

  There are no fielded implementations yet, but at least one is in
  development.  Other vendors have expressed interest.  The lack of
  existing implementations is not a cause for concern due to the
  nature of the document, which is essentially defining a few new
  object identifiers.

  The Document Shepherd is Russ Housley.  The responsible Area
  Director is Stephen Farrell.