Subject: [plasma] "Recipient List" thread and Distribution Lists

From: Alan Borland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 09:55:00 +0000

Ignoring the syntax of the "Recipient List" for the moment, but how will the recipient list mechanism work with distribution lists, especially those DLs expanded by the mail server?  If on send I supply the plasma server "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>" as a <Recipient> and "[email-masked]" receives a copy of the message as a result of the DL expansion then will fred be able to read the message?

Alan.

Alan Borland

Boldon James Limited, a QinetiQ company
Mobile:        +44 (0)7810 556709
Direct:         +44 (0)1270 507841
Switch:        +44 (0)1270 507800
Email:          [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Email (R):    [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Web:           www.boldonjames.com<x-excid://7DBF0000/pas:x-excid:/7DC00001/jmp:http:/www.boldonjames.com/>

Email classified by Boldon James Classifier - www.boldonjames.com<http://www.boldonjames.com>

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 11:09:17 -0800

For a DL that is not Plasma enhanced, it will result in the final recipient
being unable to read the message as the Plasma server will refuse to grant
access to the message.  However this would assume that the DL is not
security aware and thus it is not expanding CMS lockboxes to begin with.
How the DL processes a message for which it cannot find a lockbox for itself
is going to be DL dependent.  It might just reject the message rather than
distributing it.  A Plasma server that knows a DL is not plasma enhanced
could create a lockbox for the DL which is not externally policy enforced,
thus the DL would process as today.

For a DL that is Plasma enhanced, the DL will create a new Plasma recipient
list and give it to the Plasma server.  The Plasma server will then return
either a new or an updated plasma CMS Recipient object to be placed in the
message. 

A DL that is partly Plasma enhanced would get the key from the Plasma
server, and then create new CMS lock boxes for all of the individuals on the
DL just as it does today.  This would lose the external policy enforcement
and might cause the originating plasma server to no longer grant access to
that DL.

Jim

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Alan Borland
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 1:55 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [plasma] "Recipient List" thread and Distribution Lists

Ignoring the syntax of the "Recipient List" for the moment, but how will the
recipient list mechanism work with distribution lists, especially those DLs
expanded by the mail server?  If on send I supply the plasma server
"[email-masked]" as a <Recipient> and "[email-masked]" receives a copy of the
message as a result of the DL expansion then will fred be able to read the
message?

Alan.

Alan Borland

Mobile:        +44 (0)7810 556709
Direct:         +44 (0)1270 507841
Switch:        +44 (0)1270 507800
Email:           <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]
Email (R):     <mailto:[email-masked]>
[email-masked]
Web:
<x-excid://7DBF0000/pas:x-excid:/7DC00001/jmp:http:/www.boldonjames.com/>
www.boldonjames.com

 

Email classified by Boldon James Classifier -  <http://www.boldonjames.com>
www.boldonjames.com