Subject: Policy hierarchies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 14:38:25 -0000

When I reviewed my notes of the policy WG meeting I noticed that John had
made a distinction between the way in which the policy group containment was
achieved, and the way in which the policy rule containment was achieved.
Specifically that the policy group containment was achieved by DIT structure
rather than attribute aggregation.

If that is this case, what is the purpose of the multi valued
policyGroupsContainedSet attribute of the policyGroup class? If containment
is a function of the DIT structure then the "parent" of a particular
instance of a policy group class object at a node in the DIT can be found by
looking back up the full DN towards the root, for nodes which have an
objectClass value which contains (as one of its values) the class
policyGroup.

If the attribute is there to allow implementation in non hierarchically
organised data stores, then should it be single valued. Or maybe I have got
the tree up side down!

Am I missing something here, or maybe I am misinterpreting what was said.

Roger