Subject: Policy 2001 Workshop - Register before 9 Jan

From: Morris Sloman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 11:12:03 +0000

The deadline for reduce registration fee is Tuesday 9 Jan

Policy 2001:   Workshop on Policies for Distributed Systems and Networks

29-31 January 2001
Hosted by:  HP Laboratories, Bristol, UK
Technical Co-sponsored by IEEE ComSoc

See: http://www-dse.doc.ic.ac.uk/events/policy-2001/
for programme, hotel and registration details

Policy based systems are the subject of a wide range of activities in
universities, standardisation bodies and within industry.  They have a
wide spectrum of applications ranging from quality of service management
within networks to security and enterprise modelling. This workshop will
provide a forum for discussion and collaboration between researchers,
developers and users of policy based systems. It will bring together the
various communities working on policy and follows on from the successful
informal Policy Workshop held in November 1999 (see
http://www-dse.doc.ic.ac.uk/events/policy-99/).

Within the Internet community there is considerable interest in Policy
Based Networking.  A number of companies have announced tools to support
the specification and deployment of policies. Much of this work is focused
on policies for quality of service management within networks and the
Internet Engineering and Distributed Management Task Forces (IETF/DMTF) is
actively working on standards related to this area (see
http://www-dse.doc.ic.ac.uk/research/policies for links).

The Security community has focused on the specification and analysis of
access control policy which has evolved into the work on Role-Based Access
Control (RBAC).  There has been work over a number of years in the
academic community on specification and analysis of policies for
Distributed Systems mostly concentrating on authorisation policies.
Although there are strong similarities in the concepts and techniques used
by the different communities there is no commonly accepted terminology or
notation for specifying policy.

Several research groups are looking at high-level aspects of policy
related to Enterprise Modelling.  An ISO Open Distributed Processing
working group is defining Policy and Role concepts within the Enterprise
Viewpoint. Enterprise goals or Service Level Agreements can be considered
as high-level abstract policies which must be progressively refined into
implementable policies.

The workshop programme includes invited speakers and refereed papers 
covering the above areas.  There will be ample time for discussion.
__________________________________________________

Professor Morris Sloman
Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine
Department of Computing
180 Queen's Gate
London SW7 2BZ, U.K.
Phone: +44 20 7594 8279    Fax: +44 20 7594 8282
Email: [email-masked]
WWW: http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~mss

Policy 2001: Workshop on Policies for Distributed Systems and Networks, HP 
Laboratories, Bristol, 29-31 Jan. 2001
http://www-dse.doc.ic.ac.uk/Events/policy-2001/