Subject: Information models relations

From: "Andrew Mishchenko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 23:29:50 +0300

Hi,

I have some questions left after weeks of reading I-Ds.

1. As I understood, PEP and PDP should work with the same
PIB to be interoperable - or, at least, they should work
with PIBs derived from the same base PIB. It seems to me
that PIB defined by DiffServ WG is aimed to play this role.
Thus, any implementation of the PEP that uses its own PIB
will be not interoperable with PDP that uses PIB defined by
DiffServ WG. Am I right?

2. It's reasonably clear to me how to specify QoS
requirements by means of QOSPIM and how to specify QoS
mechanisms by means of QOSDEVIM. But:
a) I'm not sure how to map QoS requirements (supplied by
an administrator and modeled by QOSPIM) to the QoS
mechanisms definition modeled by QOSDEVIM. Are there any
recommendations or thoughts on this subject? I believe
it's possible to develop some algorithm for mapping, but
is this left to the implementers?
b) It looks difficult to map QOSDEVIM classes structure to
the PIB classes structure (IMO, the information model defined
in the QOSPIM is mapped to the PIB classes more easy). Are
there any ideas on this? Or QOSDEVIM is not yet well-aligned
with PIBs structure and implementers should avoid using it
for now?
c) Then, what information model should be used to represent
QoS policy information in the repository? I think that QOSPIM
MUST be used because it is used to specify QoS requirements.
But should policies modeled by QOSPIM be translated to the
policies modeled by QOSDEVIM at the time of policy creation
or the translation should occur in the runtime? 

If I'm asking the questions the wrong way, may be you can give
me a direction?

Thanks,

Andrey Mishchenko
[email-masked]