Subject: About Policy :)

From: "Bouarich, Reda" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:52:01 +0100

Hello everyone,
I am a newcomer in this list. I am currently working on Policy Management to
implement it's principle to our product TeMIP.
After reading lots of documentation, there is some point I did not
get!!Sorry if some of my questions looks stupid but I'm really discovering
PM.
To begin, I would have a simple question: when a PDP send a policy request
to a PEP (A cisco router for example), where is the intelligence that is 
going to say to that router to act in a specific way. Is there a process
that interface with IOS command to set up the router or Is there an
"intelligence" within the router that understand the request and apply it
(COPS ??) ?
Thanks a lot,
Reda.

---

From: "Yacine El Mghazli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:05:58 +0100

Hi Reda (like my brother !),

> To begin, I would have a simple question: when a PDP send a policy request
You mean a policy DECISION ;-)

> "intelligence" within the router that understand the request and apply it
In a native Policy (COPS) situation, your second alternative is the good one
: the control plane of the router is in charge of getting the PDP decisions
(via COPS for instance) and driving the router forwarding plane (=install
the downloaded policy rule).
However, you can use the first solution in the framework of a proxy-like
configuration, in the case where your old Cisco router does not fit with
Policy features ;-)

Regards,
Yacine