Subject: RE: About Policy :)

From: "Bouarich, Reda" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:40:06 +0100

Thanks a lot Yacine for your help.
Just one other question, when the control plane of the router is in charge
of getting the PDP decisions, what sort of command do they exchange
(name-value pair,...?).
Do you know where can I get precise information or example of code?
Thanks.
regards,
 Reda.

-----Original Message-----
From: Yacine El Mghazli [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2001 5:06 PM
To: Bouarich, Reda
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: About Policy :)

Hi Reda (like my brother !),

See comments bellow :

> Hello everyone,
> I am a newcomer in this list. I am currently working on Policy Management
to
> implement it's principle to our product TeMIP.
> After reading lots of documentation, there is some point I did not
> get!!Sorry if some of my questions looks stupid but I'm really discovering
> PM.
> To begin, I would have a simple question: when a PDP send a policy request
You mean a policy DECISION ;-)

> to a PEP (A cisco router for example), where is the intelligence that is
> going to say to that router to act in a specific way. Is there a process
> that interface with IOS command to set up the router or Is there an
> "intelligence" within the router that understand the request and apply it
> (COPS ??) ?
In a native Policy (COPS) situation, your second alternative is the good one
: the control plane of the router is in charge of getting the PDP decisions
(via COPS for instance) and driving the router forwarding plane (=install
the downloaded policy rule).
However, you can use the first solution in the framework of a proxy-like
configuration, in the case where your old Cisco router does not fit with
Policy features ;-)

Regards,
Yacine
> Thanks a lot,
> Reda.