Subject: Result of the compoundPolicyAction

From: "Mircea Pana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 16:22:46 -0400

(on a different thread:)

The result of the execution of a compoundPolicyAction (success or
failure) is important for the execution strategy of the aggregating
policyRules or compoundPolicyAction. To avoid ambiguity, it may be good
to add a clarification to the next release of PCIMe.

A suggestion might be:

1. For compoundPolicyAction.executionStrategy=Do_Until_Success:
The compoundPolicyAction is successful if an aggregated policyAction is
successful. If all the aggregated policyActions fail, then the
aggregating compoundPolicyAction is considered failed.

2. For compoundPolicyAction.executionStrategy=Do_All:
The compoundPolicyAction is successful if all the aggregated
policyActions are successful. If one or more aggregated policyActions
fail, then the aggregating compoundPolicyAction is considered failed.

(2bis. An alternative to 2 might be:
The compoundPolicyAction is successful if one or more aggregated
policyActions are successful. If all the aggregated policyActions fail,
then the aggregating compoundPolicyAction is considered failed.
If both 2. and 2bis are applicable in various situations then it may be
useful to add a "Do_Any" execution strategy?)

3. For compoundPolicyAction.executionStrategy=Do_Until_Failure:
The compoundPolicyAction is successful if one or more aggregated
policyActions are successful. If the first attempt to execute an
aggregated policyAction fails, then the aggregating compoundPolicyAction
is considered failed.

Regards,
Mircea.

P.S. BTW in PCIMe-01, the example at the end of the paragraph "4.7.2
Compound Policy Actions" uses the retired "Mandatory Do All" decision
strategy. For consistency with the rest of the document, this should be
corrected.

---

From: "Mircea Pana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:34:17 -0400

I'm re-posting this message because I believe that it did not make it to
the list. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Mircea.