Subject: Using COPS for VoIP call initiation

From: Arie Nimkovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:53:24 +0200

Hello,

Our system uses a layer-2 (bridge) entity through which VoIP calls flow.
This bridge should supply resources relevant to VoIP. 
A Call Agent which manages the call signaling will inform the bridge about
the required resources for each call, and the bridge will reply the Call
Agent whether it has the requested resources. If it has not - the call
request be dropped by the Call Agent.
My question:
Is COPS suitable for such message exchange?  Who is the client and who is
the server in this case? It seems to me that the client/server roles are
reversed here - the entity that knows about the call in progress is the Call
Agent so it is the candidate for the client (PEP) role, however the actual
admission will make the bridge, so from this aspect IT should be the policy
enforcing point.
Can someone to enlighten me on this? If not COPS - may be there is some
other more suitable protocol for the stated purposes?

Thanks,
Arie Nimkovsky

**********************************************************************
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received
this in error (whether inadvertently addressed to you, or if forwarded to
you by a recipient), please contact the sender and delete the material from
any computer.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by
VYYO's Virus Scan Systems for the presence of computer viruses.

**********************************************************************