Subject: RE: [Policy] Is anyone doing a DTD

From: "Bruce Greenblatt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:51:22 -0700

I have seen this.  I was planning on using something more specific to
the Policy Model.  Is this a bad idea? This would be similar to the
approach of the LDAP schema in this group.  A generic LDAP schema could
have been implemented at the "meta-schema" level, but I think that the
approach in the current draft is more efficient for "policy
applications"?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andrea Westerinen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 11:32 AM
> To: Bruce Greenblatt; Scherling, Mark; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [Policy] Is anyone doing a DTD
> 
> 
> The DMTF has a DTD which it applies to all its models 
> (including the Policy Model).  It is detailed at 
> http://www.dmtf.org/standards/standard_wbem.php.
> Its tags are at the level of meta-schema - ie, <CLASS>, 
> <PROPERTY>, ... This is similar to W3C's DSML approach 
> (written at the level of directory meta-schema).
> 
> Andrea
> 

_______________________________________________
Policy mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/policy

---

From: "Andrea Westerinen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:16:21 -0700

It really depends on your requirements, but I see alot of value in the DMTF
approach.  IMHO, it is useful to maintain a single DTD that addresses the
core constructs of the model, so that basic infrastructure tools can be
built and deployed once. Taking this approach, the DTD does not have to
change every time that a class or property is added.  Since basic processing
semantics (directed by the tags) remain constant, new unknown tags do not
have to ignored. You always have backward compatibility with your existing
infrastructure (since your tags are constant). Obviously, the specialized
code that addresses specific semantics (for example, PolicyActionXYZ) must
be added separately. But, this is true in any case.

Another advantage is that this approach aligns with DSML to allow similar
processing independent of the repository.

Andrea