Subject: [Policy] One more PCIMe change: IPHeadersFilter.HdrDSCP

From: "Robert Moore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:15:22 -0500

Since we seem to be behaving as if we're in an IETF Last Call for PCIMe, I
have one more minor change to propose, based on discussions we had in the
DMTF Networks WG.  Currently, the property IPHeadersFilter.HdrDSCP has the
syntax uint8, representing a single DSCP.  The proposal is to change its
syntax to uint8[ ] (an array of uint8's), so that it can represent an
unordered, ORed list of DSCPs.

Currently it would take three entire IPHeadersFilter instances to match on
"DSCP 10, 11, or 12".  This can easily be streamlined to one instance by
making this change to the syntax of the HdrDSCP property.

Does anybody think this is a bad idea?

Regards,
Bob

Bob Moore
Advanced Design and Technology
Application Integration Middleware Division
IBM Software Group
+1-919-254-4436
[email-masked]

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:53:14 -0500

Since the reality is that this will almost always require three filters, I 
find it strange to try to compress this particular representation.  We 
allow blocks of IP addresses because the reliaty is that prefixes are 
something filters match on.  Unless we want to get into masked DSCPs 
(please, no, lets not go there) I would think we were better off sticking 
to single values for this field.
Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

>Application Integration Middleware Division

_______________________________________________
Policy mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/policy

---

From: Mircea Pana <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:56:21 -0500

I prefer the "compact-ness" of the filter resulting from Bob's
suggestion for the reason that it is easier to manage. This may be
translated into multiple simpler filters for devices that do not support
sets of DSCP. Similarly, for example, a mirrored  Compound Filter may be
translated into two Compound Conditions for devices that do not
understand "isMirrored".

Regards,
Mircea