Subject: [Ppm] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on charter-ietf-ppm-00-00: (with COMMENT)

From: Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 22:17:44 -0800

Benjamin Kaduk has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-ppm-00-00: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-ppm/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

[obligatory remark about milestones]

When we say "the PPM protocols will use cryptographic
algorithms defined by the CFRG", does that just refer to
the encryption algorithms and such (i.e., HPKE), or is it
also intended to encompass the core cryptographic techniques
that enable the privacy-preserving property?  If the latter,
does the CFRG actually have any such work underway or planned
that we would be able to use?

Separately, the wording "defined by" may be worth revisiting,
as there are some cases where the CFRG produces a document that
describes an algorithm previously defined elsewhere, whether to
make it more accessible or to provide some endorsement of it.
Using a different word, like "published", might be preferable.

---

From: Tim Geoghegan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 08:05:05 -0800

Besides using HPKE in a few places, PPM is defined in terms of Verifiable
Distributed Aggregation Functions, which are being drafted through the CFRG
in parallel with PPM.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-patton-cfrg-vdaf-00.html

Tim Geoghegan
ISRG

On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 10:17 PM Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> --
> Ppm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ppm
>