Subject: Re: Usage of ML Endpoint Discriminator Option

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 14:37:54 -0600 (MDT)

> From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>

> ...
> > When I don't have Endpoint Discriminators, I like to identify the MP
> > bundle by the IP address at the far end.
>
> For configuration management and SNMP interfaces, that probably makes
> sense.
>
> I can't make sense out of that for an MP implementation, though.  You
> don't have the IP address on subsequent links that should join the
> bundle since you won't be going through IPCP again on those links.
> The only data you have around when you must make the decision to join
> a bundle "already in progress" (as they say) or create a new one is
> from LCP and authentication.  Right?

Agreed, but at least in BSD kernels, the identity of the entire bundle
will be closely associated with that original IP address.  Anything that
conflicts with that original IP address, such as recycling through IPCP
and getting a different IP address, is problem.

Also, if you consciously associate the IP address with the identity of
the bundle, it's easy to use BF&I instead of RFC 1990.

I can't tell if BF&I still matters.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Aug 1999 18:07:12 -0400

> and getting a different IP address, is problem.

True, but I'm missing something here.  When you get a new connection
from a peer (one that *you* didn't originate, and therefore have no
reason to associate with any particular IP address), how do you a
priori know the address at the other end?

I think that was the point I was trying to make.  You generally have
to wait until authentication is done until you put a new link into an
existing bundle.

> I can't tell if BF&I still matters.

Very much so!  MP is horrid at very high speeds, or if you have to
deal with fail-over.

-- 
James Carlson, System Architect                     <[email-masked]>
IronBridge Networks / 55 Hayden Avenue   71.246W   Vox:  +1 781 372 8132
Lexington MA  02421-7996 / USA           42.423N   Fax:  +1 781 372 8090
"PPP Design and Debugging" --- http://people.ne.mediaone.net/carlson/ppp