Subject: PPPEXT WG draft minutes from Washington

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:27:15 -0800

Here are the draft minutes from the PPPEXT meeting. Please let me know if 
there are any misrepresentations.

PPP Extensions (PPPEXT) Working Group Agenda
46th IETF--Washington, D.C.
Monday, November 8, 1999, 1930-2200

Chair: Karl Fox <[email-masked]>
Reported by Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>

57 people were in attendance

VPN Interoperability Workshop Announcement
Anita Freeman <[email-masked]>
The 10th PPP Workshop plus 8th IPsec Workshop will meet together in San 
Diego on Jan 9-14th.

PPP Bridge Control Protocol
draft-ietf-pppext-bcp-01.txt
Mitsuru Higashiyama <[email-masked]>

The old BCP is from 1994 as RFC 1638. IEEE 802 has standardized many Bridge 
Management Protocols. 802.1Q standardized Virtual LAN's supporting STP, 
GARP multicast registrations protocols (GMRP, GARP VLAN registrations 
protocol (GVRP) and others. Tinygram-Compression option is obsoleted in the 
draft.

802.3 Frames with VLAN tagging adds new fields to the Ethernet header.

Backwards compatibility, but the new BCP can handle the old STP 
protocol.  This covers 802.1Q and 802.1D COS. Supports multiple bridge 
management protocols with one general format.

Allows easy support by LAN switches with high-speed hardware logic.

We had a discussion about using a different protocol (BCPv2) or the 
version-id as described in this draft.

We will add an option for 802.1Q in a new format. The PID will stay the 
same. The draft will be updated. It was also decided to not obsolete 
tinygram-compression. Implementations can reject tinygram-compression if 
they do not wish to support it.

PPP Multiplexing
draft-ietf-pppext-pppmux-00.txt
Irfan Ali <[email-masked]>
Rahesth Pazhyannur [email-masked]
Craig Fox [email-masked]

Objective: Reduce PPP frame overhead 5-7 bytes per each RTP/UDP packet. 
This is for VoIP over cellular infrastructure networks such as T1 lines 
between BSC's and MSC's. The authors were recommended to look at the RMOA 
in the ATM forum which might employ similar techniques. The usefulness of 
this protocol will depend on the cellular infrastructure employed and 
bandwidth financial concerns.

draft-simpson-des-as-01.txt
Bill Simpson
We had a discussion on moving PPP DES Encryption Protocol (RFC 2419) to 
Historic status. Since everyone has moved towards triple-DES, RFC 2419 will 
move to Historic.

Discussion of PPPEXT Standards Track Document Status
Karl Fox <[email-masked]>
L2TP work  has moved to the L2TP Extensions WG
SDL is in the IESG for approval as an Experimental RFC
AODI is being commented on, on the list.

The rest of the RFC's on the PPP charter need to be moved forward as planned.

Draft-ietf-pppext-secure-ra-00.txt
Pyda Srisuresh [email-masked]
This talk was supposed to be as part of the L2TP WG, but the author isn't 
able to make that session so he presented it here.

This draft provides link-level authentication authorization and accounting 
services.

Static/Dynamic IP address assignment to a remote user from an enterprise 
address pool

Provides host-route connectivity to remote user and monitors link status.

Uses RADIUS to provide the AAA services so it can scale to a large number 
of remote users.

Proposed LNS RADIUS attributes are IPSEC_MANDATE, SECURITY_PROFILE and 
IKE_NEGOTIATED_PROFILE.

The group didn't think his was a PPPEXT item as it doesn't extend PPP and 
perhaps not a L2TPEXT work item for the same reason. It is perhaps an IPsec 
policy issue.