Subject: AODI

From: Jonathan Goodchild <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 18:07:15 -0000

From the PPPEXT WG draft minutes:

> AODI is being commented on, on the list.

Not very much though.  

I made some comments back in June when the current draft first came out,
mainly about the text in the draft, to which there was no reply.

And recently James Carlson has made a couple of postings, raising some
fundamental questions about protocol incompatibilities between AODI and
existing standards track protocols (namely RFC 1990 and RFC 1598).

Personally I don't think there's much of a problem about AODI not being
compatible with RFC 1598 (PPP in X.25).  I doubt very much that there
will be any requirement for interworking between AODI devices and
existing implementations of RFC 1598.

But the multilink issue seems more important.  Should AODI proceed on
the standards track with such an incompatibility?  Surely someone else
must have an opinion.

Jonathan Goodchild
Farsite Communications Ltd
email: [email-masked]
web: http://www.farsite.co.uk/

---

From: Archie Cobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 10:37:51 -0800 (PST)

> the standards track with such an incompatibility?  Surely someone else

I agree with many of James' comments..

In short, KISS (keep it simple stupid). There should be one document
that describes *only* how to setup/teardown and transmit PPP frames 
over an ISDN D-channel. No BACP, multilink, whatever.

Moreover, I don't see why BACP is at all necessary, nor
any difference between D channels and B channels from a MP
point of view. They just have different characteristics
of bandwidth and availability -- but MP has always been
compatible with this.

Then there can be separate documents that describe 'current best
practice' etc. But glomming 'current practice' into requirements
is a mistake.

What do people think of having a separate document that only
describes how to do PPP over a D channel?

-Archie

___________________________________________________________________________
Archie Cobbs   *   Whistle Communications, Inc.  *   http://www.whistle.com

---

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:58:30 -0800

> > AODI is being commented on, on the list.

I think James's comments were pretty significant. I promised him that they 
would get full consideration as soon as I get a chance. I'm sorry if I 
missed your previous comments.