Subject: "PPP Link Quality Monitoring"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 20:40:38 +0530

Hi,

I had some questions on PPP Link Quality Monitoring  (RFC1989):

1. Is PPP link quality monitoring appropriate for PPP links over
    Frame Relay and AAL5 ?

2. The RFC 1989 section 2.2 says :
    " Each Link Quality Monitoring implementation maintains counts
      of packets and octets transmitted and successfully received"

    Does this mean that the LQM implementation should maintain
    all the ifTable counters like IfInOctets, IfInErrors etc. or can 
    LQM depend on the statistics that the underlying protocol
    driver maintains for these values ?  is there any reason
    for the LQM to maintain these counters ?

Thanks, 

Vijay

---

From: Karl Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:22:42 -0400

It doesn't matter who maintains the counters, as long as the values counted 
are exactly as described in RFC 1989.  Otherwise it will appear that data is 
being lost (or magically generated!).

Karl

>    for the LQM to maintain these counters ?

Karl Fox <[email-masked]>
Key fingerprint = 5B15 7260 D55E D680 0B93  4953 8A3B AB0E C05D 77A3