Subject: PPP over Ethernet

From: "Li, Renwei" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 12:01:04 -0700

This is a question about the termination point in the PPP over Ethernet
Protocol (RFC 2516) for the DSL broadband service deployment. 

Suppose a few hosts are connected to each other by Ethernet. When a user
wants to connect to his ISP through DSL. Consider the following:

host --- PPPoE ---> xDSL modem --- PPPoE over ATM over xDSL ---> DSLAM 

In this scenario, xDSL modem bridges the PPPoE frame. Depending on where
DSLAM is connected to, the PPPoE is terminated at LAC or LNS or other
devices when they are deployed for this purpose. To save the argument, let's
assume DSLAM terminates PPPoE. Now does it actually mean that DSLAM (or
LNS/LAC if they terminate PPPoE) has an Ethernet MAC address? Intuitively,
they don't have a MAC address. If they don't, how do they respond to PPPoE
Active Discovery Initiation packet PADI? If they do, is it really necessary?

Your comments are appreciated.

Renwei Li
Abatis Systems Corporation
4190-200 Still Creek Drive
Burnaby, B.C.
Canada V5C 6C6
Phone: (604) 918-4706
Fax:   (604) 294-8830
Email:  [email-masked]
Web:   www.abatis-sys.com

---

From: Karl Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 17:05:09 -0400

Hello,

PPP over Ethernet discussions belong on mailing lists maintained by the PPP 
over Ethernet people.  This mailing list is for discussing work associated 
with the PPP Extensions Working Group of the IETF.  We have nothing to do 
with PPPOE.

Thanks,

Karl

>Email:  [email-masked]

Karl Fox <[email-masked]>
Key fingerprint = 5B15 7260 D55E D680 0B93  4953 8A3B AB0E C05D 77A3