Subject: Re: DHCP Relay Agent Option

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 09:36:16 -0400 (EDT)

Radha Rani writes:
> Please clarify the following doubt in DHCP relay agent option rfc (RFC 3046).
> In Section 2.1 of the RFC3046 it is mentioned  that overall adding of the relay
> agent option is configurable. Is this configuration per-interface or for all 
> users
> of relay agent.

Why did you ask this on the PPP Extensions mailing list?  Are you sure
you didn't intend to write to the DHC working group instead?  Just
because the interfaces in question happen to be PPP links isn't a good
reason; this working group is concerned with extensions to the
Point-to-Point Protocol, not all users of the protocol.

In any event, the granularity of the enable/disable configuration is
up to you.  The IETF documents have nothing to say on the matter.  If
you need to configure Relay Agent operation per interface, then do so.

(The rest of section 2.1 describes situations in which you might need
to configure Relay Agent operation differently based on the whether
the interface is considered "trustworthy."  That should probably point
in the direction of a good answer.)

-- 
James Carlson, Internet Engineering       <[email-masked]>
SUN Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.234W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.497N   Fax +1 781 442 1677
Second Edition now available - http://people.ne.mediaone.net/carlson/ppp

---

From: Radha Rani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 18:49:18 -0300

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Radha