Subject: link balancing

From: Erol Basturk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 16:04:12 -0700

hi,

There is a requirement from some vendors to create bundle of high-speed PPP
interfaces (POS notably) .  Such implementation  may not however support PPP
fragmentation over multiple links as mandated by MP (RFC 1990), but instead
packets are sent unfragmented over one of the links of the bundle, without
MP header. At the same time, the functionality provided by MP to validate
new members of the bundle is desirable (end-point discriminators, etc.). 

The PPP link balancing detection draft (draft-ietf-pppext-lbd-02.txt) seemed
the right way to address some of these issues by providing new options for
MP negotation. This draft is currently expired, although I am not sure why.
Unless there are obvious issues with this approach, I would like to request
this WG to consider advancing the LBD draft along standard tracks.
.
Thanks,

-- Erol Basturk

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:49:24 -0400 (EDT)

> MP negotation. This draft is currently expired, although I am not sure why.

It was lack of expressed interest coupled with the fact that the
author's former employer is now floating upside down at the top of the
tank.  Now that there's interest, I can certainly update the draft and
reissue it.

> this WG to consider advancing the LBD draft along standard tracks.

We'll have to wait for the reissue in order to proceed ...

-- 
James Carlson, Internet Engineering       <[email-masked]>
SUN Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.234W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.497N   Fax +1 781 442 1677