Subject: draft-salgarelli-pppext-eap-ske-00.txt

From: Luca Salgarelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:49:26 -0500

Hi.

We submitted a new ID relevant to this working group a while ago, but I
haven't seen it announced on this mailing list. Since we would like to
receive comments on it, here it goes.

I apologize if the ID was indeed announced and I missed that e-mail.

Regards
Luca

ID: draft-salgarelli-pppext-eap-ske-00.txt

URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-salgarelli-pppext-eap-ske-00.txt

Title: EAP-Shared Key Exchange (EAP-SKE): A Scheme for Authentication and
                  Dynamic Key Exchange in 802.1X Networks

Authors: L. Salgarelli, M. Buddhikot, J. Garay, S. Miller, U. Blumenthal,
         S. Patel, P. Dahl, D. Stanley, C. Carroll

Abstract:
   This note describes two methods for authentication of Mobile Nodes
   (MN) and generation of per session, per node encryption keys,
   suitable for use at layer-2 in 802.1x networks (such as 802.11
   wireless LANs).   The methods apply to scenarios where a Mobile
   Node (MN) is in a foreign network such as public 802.3 network
   that uses Home-AAA and Foreign-AAA services.   The methods assume
   that a pre-deployed cryptographically secure pre-shared key is
   present on the MN, and use of the 802.1X standard [1], Extensible
   Authentication Protocol (EAP) [2] messages, and RADIUS
   Authentication Servers.   The first method offers a full set of
   security features, and requires the introduction of relatively
   minor changes to RADIUS and EAP. The second method is a simplified
   version of the first.   It requires minimal modifications to
   existing RADIUS and EAP standards, but provides a lower level of
   security.   The protocol can easily be extended to support the
   migration from RADIUS to DIAMETER [3].