Subject: RFC2284bis-03 strawman available for inspection

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:23:33 -0800 (PST)

I've put a strawman RFC 2284bis-03 version up for inspection at:

http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/EAP/draft-ietf-pppext-rfc2284bis-03.txt

The open and resolved issues on the specification are described in:

http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/EAP/eapissues.html

Specifically, the following issues are resolved in the -03 strawman:

Issue #1 EAP NAK allows only one alternative method
Issue #2 "Alternative Indications" not useful 
Issue #4 EAP multiplexing model not described 
Issue #5 Editorial changes to section 4.2 
Issue #13 Identifier usage not specified 
Issue #14 EAP transport behavior not specified 

The following issues remain open:

Issue #3 EAP needs a formal state machine
Issue #10 No support for acknowledged Success or Failure
Issue #11 No threat model
Issue #12 No support for localization 
Issue #17 EAP Negotiation Method 

Here is where we are on the open issues:

Issue #3: We have a submitted state machine paper from Bryan Payne, which
was presented at IETF 53. I would like to solicit discussion of that
paper. 

Issue #10: We have a proposed resolution, which involves addition of an
"Acknowledged Outcome" Method. This would appear to address the issue
raised by Bryan Payne about the client and server getting out of
sync. However, since this is a major change, I'd like see more discussion
of the issue before making changes to the spec. 

Issue #12: The issue describes two potential avenues for resolution. Would
like to get a sense of where the WG wants to go on this before proceeding. 

Issue #17: Not sure where to go with this one. Do we need a generic
negotiation method? If so, what should it do?