Subject: Question about RFC 2716 (PPP EAP TLS Authentication Protocol)

From: "Bill Whelan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 17:05:20 -0400

I have a question regarding one of the examples in section 3.8.  On pages
12-13 there is an example of a client failing to authenticate to the server.
The fifth message from the authenticator shows (TLS change_cipher_spec, TLS
finished) which indicates (to me at least) a successful client
authentication.  Subsequently, the TLS Alert message seems to be generated
spontaneously.

The text of section 3.1 in the first three paragraphs of page 5 seeems to
indicate the (TLS change_cipher_spec, TLS finished) is NOT sent when the
client fails to authenticate.

Any chance there's a cut-and-paste error in the example?

By the same token, might the same problem exist in the following example of
server authentication failure on pages 13-14?  Isn't the Authenticating
Peer's message containing only (TLS change_cipher_spec, TLS finished)
extraneous?  The previous message from the Authenticating Peer also
contained the TLS finished.

Thanks,
Bill Whelan