Subject: Multiplexing of IP datagrams with the same ToS field in the same PPPmux frame.

From: HOULLIER Francis FTRD/DMI/CAE <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 17:28:53 +0200

Hi,
In case of carrying IP datagrams over PPP Mux frames, is it possible to
multiplex frames containing the same ToS field ?
Thanks.

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 11:40:29 -0400

HOULLIER Francis FTRD/DMI/CAE writes:
> <BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">In case of carrying IP datagrams over PPP Mux frames, is it possible to multiplex frames containing the same ToS field ?</FONT></P>

Yes.  You can basically multiplex anything you care to.  It's not set
by a standard.  The only thing that it says is this:

   Implementers may choose additionally to implement using timers.  In
   such a case a timeout in addition to the conditions stated above is
   used as a stopping criteria of the multiplexing process.  Moreover,
   it may be desirable to limit the maximum size of a multiplexed packet
   to be considerably smaller than MRU for reasons of multiplexing
   latency and packet error considerations.

In other words, if you have reasons to avoid multiplexing certain
frames, then by all means, feel free to do so.  The sender is not
obligated to multiplex anything.

By the way: please don't send HTML to mailing lists.

-- 
James Carlson, Solaris Networking         <[email-masked]>
SUN Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.234W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.497N   Fax +1 781 442 1677